Spinach dal gravy/massoppu
Masoppu means mashed greens. It is with greens and dals cooked together then ground to paste with spices. When this is tempered becomes a Sambar for rice and without tempering this can be enjoyed as a soup by drizzling some pepper.
Spinach is rich in iron, protein and calcium. Spinach has developed a reputation for being one of the healthiest foods around, according to World’s Healthiest Foods. Be advised, however, that spinach contains naturally occurring oxalates, which may interfere with calcium absorption. Spinach also can play havoc with kidney and/or gallbladder problems.
Cooking time: 20 mins
Preparation time: 25-30 mins
- Toor dal-1/2cup
- Roughly chopped onion-1num
- Chopped Tomato-1num
- Green chilli-5-6num
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2t
- Salt- as per taste
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Finely chopped onion-1num (optional)
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Curry leaves-5-6
- Clean and blanch the spinach in hot water and set aside.
- Pressure cook dal for 3-4whistles.
- Heat a non stick pan and add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, roughly chopped onion, tomato, chilli and saute for 4-5mins/ until onions are slightly translucent and tomatoes are mushy and let it cool down.
- Then throw the sauted mixture in the blender/mixer and blend it to the smooth puree
- It can be served as a hot soup
Posted on July 6, 2014, in Indian, Side dish and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Side dish for Rice, Spinach Dal recipe, Spinach recipe, Vegetarian dish for rice. Bookmark the permalink. 9 Comments.