Veg Bolognese Spaghetti – Vegan and DF
Fiber rich beans stand for non-veg replacements. Beans give this vegetarian dish a hearty texture. this vegetable Bolognese sauce is really versatile because you can use any vegetables.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Whole wheat spaghetti-400gms
- Finely chopped onion-1num
- Finely chopped capsicum/bell pepper-1num
- Finely chopped carrot-1num
- Crushed garlic-2clove
- Tomato puree-1cup
- Fine chopped tomato-1cup
- Red kidney beans-1can or 250 gms (drained and rinsed thoroughly)
- Italian dried herbs-1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Bay leaf-1
- Olive oil-1tbsp
To cook spaghetti:
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Add spaghetti to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 10-12minutes or as per package instructions. Drain and drizzle some oil and set aside.
For the sauce:
- Drain water from the canned beans rinse thoroughly and mash half of it using fork and other half let it remain whole
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over a medium heat, add onions, carrot, capsicum, salt cover and cook for about 8-10mins until the vegies are softened.
- Add crushed garlic and bay leaf, cook, stirring for about 10-15seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 5-7mins/ until they are mushy.
- Add paprika, mashed beans , simmer and bring the sauce to boil until thickened about 6-8 mins
- Now add the remaining whole beans, cook stirring occasionally until heated through for about 2-3 mins more.
- Divide the spaghetti among the bowls, top it with the sauce, sprinkle some cheese and enjoy.
- Use any beans of your choice.
- You can even use tomato puree instead of tomatoes.
- You can use mushrooms, aubergine and courgette as a variation.
I am posting this recipe to First virtual Vegan linky potluck.
Posted on July 6, 2014, in International, Main Course, Vegan and tagged Bolognese Vegetarian, Chitras healthy kitchen, Dairy free recipe, drchdietfood, Vegan Bolognese, Vegan recipes, Vegan Spaghetti recipe. Bookmark the permalink. 18 Comments.