Dosa is a pancake/crepes like dish made by blending rice, split gram dal but can be personalised as per the taste and preference. I have made these dosas by blending red rice, split black gram dal, barley, flatten rice and carrots.
Adding carrots makes it more nutritious and tasty. Red rice is similar to brown rice and rich in fiber, barley and wheat combination helps to control glycaemic index.
This can be enjoyed as a healthy option for breakfast and can be treated as a nutritious dish for kids as well
Yields: 8- 10dosas
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 25-30 mins (2-3mins per dosa)
Soaking time: 6hrs
- Parboiled rice/Red rice-1 cup
- Split black gram/Urad dal- 1/4 cup
- Flattened rice/Poha-1/4 cup
- Fenugreek seeds-1tsp (optional)
- Chopped Carrot- 2 medium
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- to roast dosas
- Wash and soak all the ingredients mentioned except carrot for 5-6hours/overnight.
- After soaking time drain and set aside.
- In the food processor add carrot and blend to puree and to this add soaked and drained ingredients in batches; Blend it to the smooth batter by adding little water at a time.
- Transfer the ground batter to the bowl, cover and let it ferment for 6-8hour in the warm place.
- Add salt and adjust the consistency by adding water and mix well.
- Heat the non-stick tawa/griddle and pour two ladleful of batter
- Make thin spread with the back of the ladle from centre in a circular motion towards the corner of the griddle.
- Drizzle some oil and let it cook on a medium high flame for 1 1/2 to 2minutes only one side
- Transfer to a plate and serve with chutney/any dip
- After fermenting the dosa batter stays in the fridge up to a week. Better to make it in batches as once salt is added batter doesn’t stay for long.
- Can use regular rice instead of red/parboiled rice.
- If you want your dosa thick do not spread the batter just pour and leave it; Flip after 2minutes and cook other side for a minute
- This can be filled with Vegan – Tofu scrumble
Posted on July 9, 2014, in Breakfast, Indian, Main dish and tagged Carrot Dosas, Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Healthy crepes, Healthy dosas, Healthy masala dosas. Bookmark the permalink. 30 Comments.