Okra stuffed with Chickpeas – Baked or Cooked
Stuffed/bharwa bhindi is a spicy delicious dish filled with the spices and cooked which makes a lovely side dish/appetizer. Here in this recipe have stuffed mashed chickpeas and spices which will gives a delicious nutlike taste and texture that is buttery and pasty.
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans have a lot of health benefit as they are filled with fiber, protein and iron and lowers the bad cholesterol.
Okra is a popular vegetable in many countries; Okra pods has a slimy feel due to presence of mucilage, it can be reduced by drying it well and sauting with tamarind paste, lemon juice, curd.
Okra mucilage contains soluble fiber and helps to bind the bile acids, cholesterol and toxins in the digestive tract, preventing their absorption and facilitating their removal-thus lowering cholesterol.
Okra acts as a natural diuretic for the kidneys and reduces the toxins in the blood.
So enjoy this stuffed okra as a healthy dish.
Yields: 2-3 servings
Preparation time: 20mins
Cooking OR Baking time: 20mins
- Okra/bhindi – 250 gms
- Oil-1tbsp + for brushing
- Cooked and mashed white chick peas-1cup
- Roasted peanuts-2tbsp
- Roasted sesame seeds-1tbsp
- Roasted flaxseed-1tbsp
- Green chilli paste-2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste-1tsp
- Lemon juice-2tbsp
- Chopped coriander- a handful
- Salt- as per taste
- Coarsely crush flaxseed, sesame seeds, peanuts using motor and pestle/ in blender and set aside.
- Rinse okra well, wipe them dry with kitchen towel or paper towel very well, let them dry completely before stuffing ( drying is important as it reduce slimeness/stikiness while they are cooking)
- One dry cut off both the ends, make a slit in the centre but ensure not to break bhindi to two pieces and set aside.
- In a bowl add mushed chickpeas, crushed flaxseed, sesame seeds, peanuts, chilli paste, ginger-garlic paste, salt, turmeric, coriander, lemon juice mix well and set aside.
For stuffing okra:
- Take a teaspoon of filling and stuff into the slit okra. Repeat the same with remaining okras
- Once the stuffing is done this can be either baked or cooked in the pan.
- Grease and line the baking tray and pre-heat the oven at 180deg c
- Place the stuffed okra on the baking tray in one layer without overlapping, spray cooking oil on them and bake for about 15minutes and add remaining stuffing and bake for another 3-4minutes.
For pan frying:
- Heat oil in the wide non stick pan, and arrange them in one layer cover and cook for 10-12minutes/ until okra cooked. (stir/flip the okra in between for even cooking)
- Add remaining stuffing if any mix well and cook for another 2-3minutes /until the stuffing is heated through
- Serve hot as an appetizer/ side dish
- Chilli powder can be used instead of chilli paste
Posted on July 22, 2014, in Indian, Starters and tagged Bharwa Bhindi baked, Bharwan bhindi baked, Bhindi recipes, Chickpeas in Okra, Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Okra recipes, Okra stuffed, Pan fried Okra stuffed. Bookmark the permalink. 32 Comments.
Stuffed Okra, haven’t thought about it!!! This is too good. I got influenced by you Chitra, I got some flax seeds, have to start trying it from your recipes 🙂
So nice to hear Malar…Feels very good…It is a fuel for me to explore new recipes…Wait to hear your experience of using Flax seeds
This looks fantastic! I love fried okra and have never had it stuffed.
Suzanne – Thank you…They cameout well and you can enjoy them as a snack as well
That is so unique 🙂
Thanks Charanya..it means a lot to me
I have a lot of okra in my garden this year, and this is a new recipe for me – always looking for new ways to use it. Will try this once they are ready to pick.
So nice Hilda..wait to hear how it turned out for yourself
I love baked version.. Now a days mostly I am baking. Like the idea of stuffing
Thanks Vidya..baking is quite a new experience and it requires to work with time and appropriate temperatures…
Okra is one of my favorite. But stuffed with chickpeas is new to me! But the recipe sounds delicious 🙂
Thanks Aiswarya…this stuffing cameout well with a nutty bits of chickpeas…hope you will like it too
Will try your version sometime soon. I prepare the stuffing in a different way. Will post that soon…
Wait to see your recioe Aiswarya….
I love bhindi but it is so hard to get fresh bhindi in Perth. Will try this with baingan instead.
Thanks Bhavna..nice to meet you and great site you have…you can also check my other posts for stuffed food with capsicum, tomato and brinjal etc.,hope you like them
Never had stuffed bhindi.. although I love the vegetable..
And the kulfi yesterday was yummmyyy mam.. I made it..yayyyyyyy
So nice to know Bikramjit….very happy that it came out well and you liked it
It looks so special & amazing! I must make this soon! x
I think I would eat it with grilled fish on the side!
It is a side dish or a snack..good to know you have a great idea of having along with your favourite dish
Wow. I love Okra, especially in Asian food. Cant wait to try this recipe at home. Thanks for sharing Chitra. Emma xx
So nice Emma…great to know your love towards Okra…wait to hear how this recipe turned out for you
very interesting and something new 🙂
Thanx Andy. …glad you liked…..
I have never had okra! Thanks for teaching me something new 🙂
Christy – Thanks for the visit..Very happy to hear such a feedback
This sounds great! I like fried okra, pickled okra, in gumbo… I never liked it plain given the slime factor but stuffed with chick peas sounds brilliant.
Gretchen – Thank you..
I will I admit I have never ever cooked okra and you can probably count on one hand how often I ate them. They are not as common around here. But I know they have them in my local Asian supermarket and this dish really is inspiring me to try!
Thanks Afra…Glad you liked them
Baked Stuffed okra..that is fantastic. I have always been detered by the deep frying part of the stuffed okra recipes. But baking I can do…
So nice to know and happy you liked it..thanks for your visit and look forward to hear more from you