Brown rice pudding with fresh Pear jam
This pudding made with brown rice instead of white rice and using low fat milk instead of whole milk makes this desert healthier for the whole family. As an added feature honey is used instead of sugar.
To make it more delightful have used fresh Pear Jam. This is made by blending grated fresh Pear with olive oil butter and honey.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 25-30 mins
- Brown rice-1/4 cup
- Low fat milk-4 cups
- Honey/Agave nectar-1/4 cup
- Chopped nuts-2-3 tbsp
- Vanilla essence-2 tsp
- Saffron strands-a generous pinch
- Grated pear-1 cup
- Olive butter-1 tbsp
- Honey-2 tbsp
- Chopped Pistachios
For Rice Pudding:
- Wash and soak brown rice for 4-5 hours.
- Drain water from soaked rice and grind it fine paste by adding few teaspoons of milk while grinding.
- In a small cup add a tablespoon of warm milk and soak the saffron strands.
- Bring milk to boil and simmer, add the ground mixture and stir every 3 minutes once on low flame. Make sure they don’t form lumps. Let it cook for 10-12 minutes on a low flame until the ground rice is cooked
- Add honey, vanilla essence and soaked saffron strands with milk and continue to cook until the mixture thickens.
- Allow it to cool down.
- Add olive butter in the pan add grated pear and let it cook on low heat for about 5-8 minutes till they are soft.
- Once they are soft, add honey and mix well and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Once cooked, let it cool to room temperature.
- In a serving glass or bowl layer with 1-2 spoons of pear jam and refrigerate for 2-3 hours .
- Then add the Rice pudding on top of already cooled pear jam.
- Cover it with cling film and refrigerate again for 2-3 hours.
- Garnish with chopped nuts or strawberries and serve chilled.
- For more creamy texture you can use full fat milk/condensed milk which may add few calories.
- Honey can be altered as per taste
Posted on July 29, 2014, in Dessert, Indian, International, Sweets and tagged Brown rice Firni, Brown rice Phirni, Brown rice pudding, prakruthi honey, prakruthi honey bangalore. Bookmark the permalink. 36 Comments.