Steamed corn cobs with spinach walnut spread
Corn on the cob is a delicious dish that can be enjoyed on its own or as a side dish to foods of vegetable based gravy recipes. It is commonly made by grilling, boiling and roasting.
Corn is actually a unique phytonutrient-rich food that provides us with well-documented antioxidant benefits. In terms of conventional antioxidant nutrients, corn is a good source of the mineral manganese.
Of all of the cooking methods my favourite is Healthy Steaming. We think that it provides the greatest flavour and is also a method that allows for good nutrient retention.
So enjoy this steamed corn cobs with a healthy spread. This spread is made with Spinach and Walnut, similar to Pesto. Topped with Italian herbs made this spread heavenly.
Preparation time-15 mins
Cooking time-25-30 mins
- Large fresh Sweet corn -4
- Olive oil-to brush
- Dash of Chilli flakes
- Dash of Italian herbs
- 1cup spinach blanched
- Crushed Walnuts-1/4cup
- Salt- as per taste
- Lime juice-1-2tbsp
- Remove the husk of corn carefully and rinse, cut off any bad spots and divide the cobs in half.
- Add water in a deep pot, add the steamer insert make sure the water level is not above the insert.
- Bring water to boil and add the corn cobs, cover pot and cook corn cobs for 8-10minutess over boiling water/ until tender.
- Combine blanched spinach, garlic, walnuts, salt, lime juice and pulse until smooth.
- Brush the steamed corn cobs with olive oil, spinach spread, sprinkle some chilli flakes and herbs.
- You can ever roast the cobs in the oven/grill it.