Salad – Roasted mushroom, bell peppers with baked crispy tofu – Vegan
Roasted mushroom give a flavorsome dimension to this salad. This room temperature salad tastes delicious with bell peppers tossed with mild herbs, lime juice and topped with sesame seeds. They make a gorgeous salad or a side dish.
Topped this vegetables with baked tofu is magical. When served with salad immediately after baking would add crispy bite to your salad.
Preparation time：10 minutes
Baking time：15 minutes
- Fresh mushrooms halved-500gms
- Red bell peppers cubed-2num
- Olive oil-2tbsp
- Pepper flakes-1/4tsp
- Dried herbs-1/2tsp
- Sesame seeds-2tsp
- Lime juice- as required
- Salt- as per taste
- Extra firm tofu block – 200 gms
Marinade for Tofu:
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Soy sauce-1tbsp
- Corn starch-1tbsp
- Salt-pinch (optional)
- Garlic powder-1/2tsp
- Water-1tbsp/ more if required
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl with bell peppers, onion wedges.
- Add olive oil sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well.
- Arrange in a single layer on large shallow baking pan and roast uncovered in the pre-heated oven at 200deg and bake for 15-18minutes/ until softened and sizzling (stir once half way).
For baking tofu:
- Drain water from tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Place it on plate line with paper towel set a weight on it to remove the moisture completely. Allow it to stand for 15-30 minutes.
- Once the moisture evaporates slice them as desired either cubes, slices or sticks .
Marinade the tofu:
- This step is optional just done for extra flavour and crispiness
- Whisk in the marinade ingredients in a bowl and gently toss in the tofu until coated and place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove from the fridge and bake until the outside of the tofu is golden and the pieces look slightly puffed for about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of tofu . toss every 10 minutes for even baking ( can bake this in separate dish while baking mushrooms, peppers or can be baked after that.)
- Serve immediately and if using this tofu for later use then can skip corn starch
- Combine roasted mushrooms, peppers drizzle some lime juice, sesame seeds, dried herbs, baked tofu toss lightly.
- Serve at room temperature as a side dish or on polenta for main course.
- Herbs and spices can be personalised as per the preference.
- Can include cherry tomatoes or any vegetables of choice as a variation.
- Tofu can be baked after roasting mushroom and peppers or can be baked in a different dish /tray.
I am bringing this recipe to VVLP#7