Baked onion rings – Vegan
These onion rings are crispy flavourful, vegan and gluten free, the perfect party appetizer. Try this oven baked breaded onion rings rather than deep fry to cut the fat content.
Baking time: 15-20mins
Preparation time: 15mins
• Onion-2 medium (cut into ½ inch thick slices)
• Plain flour- 1/2cup + 1tbsp
• Corn starch-2tbsp
• Almond milk-3/4cup-1cup
• Salt-1/4tsp+ 1/4tsp
• Pepper powder- 1/2tsp
• Bread crumbs-1cup
• Oil- 1tbsp +cooking spray / oil to spray
• Dust the onion with a tbsp. of flour and rest for 10-15mins (this helps the onions to coat the batter well)
• Pre-heat the oven to 220deg. Line the baking tray with parchment paper and spray with the oil and set aside.
• Now you’ll need two bowls for batter and breading.
• In one bowl whisk the plain flour, corn starch, salt. Whisk in half of almond milk, add more if necessary to make a pancake/dosa batter like consistency.
• Combine breadcrumbs, oil, pepper powder and remaining 1/4tsp salt in the other bowl.
• Now dip each onion ring into the batter, then shaking off the excess, then dip into the breadcrumbs, coating completely. Place on prepared baking sheet. Spray some oil on the rings.
• Bake for 7-8mins or until they begin to brown , flip and bake for another 7-8mins or until golden.
Sprinkle some chat masala/herbs and serve hot with ketchup/ dips.
• I used homemade bread crumbs they are also in supermarket OR you can even use ground corn flakes
• You can replace almond milk with low fat milk
I am brining this recipe to VVLP#8
Posted on August 15, 2014, in Appetizers, Indian, International, Starters, Vegan and tagged Baked Appetizers, Baked Onion Rings, drchdietfood, Eggless Oilfree Baked Onion rings, Eggless Oilfree Onion rings, Eggless Onion Rings, Oil free Onion Rings, Vegan friendly appetizers. Bookmark the permalink. 25 Comments.
Yum! I’m gonna have to try these for sure! Celeste 🙂
Thanks. Hope the preparation came out well.
Hello! I simply wish to give you a big thumbs up for the excellent info you have got here on this post. I’ll be returning to your website for more soon.|
There іs defiոately a great deal to learn about this subject.
I love all the points you have mаde.
Wow!! Totally yummy Chitra 🙂
This is reblogged post it’s been tough here to find wifi it’s on and off …thanx a bunch. …
I love onion rings and these baked ones look perfect!
Thanx Aruna. …glad you liked….
Reblogged this on Prefer Healthy Style.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Look delicious!! Excited to try it!!
I also have onion ring in draft but like your version with almond milk:-) baked snack has became my fav as well
This one is my old post Vidya. …just reblogged here no proper wifi. ..am typing one msg 10 time to respond on and off wifi so cudnt post as per planned just disappointed. …thanx a bunch…..will wait for your version….
Enjoy your vacation dear:-) great to see the posts which I missed previously
Flour and bread crumbs contain gluten. Do you have a gluten-free version?
Nice to meet you…So nice to read about yourself and look forward to learn from the Chef
looks so crisp !! just wanna pick it up and munch on it 😀
Yes Andy.Come over 🙂
Great post! Love the idea!
Thank you !
I love onion rings, and am so excited by your healthy recipe will definitely be giving these a try 🙂
So nice you liked this recipe..Love to hear how this recipe turned out for yourself
Yummmm! A marvelous recipe Doc :).
Thanx a ton Sonal… 🙂