Peshwari naan on Oven OR Tava
These delicious breads are traditionally stuffed with a fruit and nuts then baked in oven/ skillet. Naan is a traditional indian flatbread and one of the real treats of indian cuisine- delicious by itself or dipped into a curry. The sweet flavours make the peshwari naan a great dessert also by itself.
Preparation time: 25minutes
Waiting time: 1 ½-2hours (for dough)
Cooking time: 10-12minutes
- Whole wheat flour-1 1/2cup
- Salt- 1tsp
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Soya/regular milk-1/2cup
- Hand hot water-1/3cup or as required to form dough
- Desiccated coconut-1/4cup
- dry fruits and nuts-1/4cup (I used almonds, walnuts, dates, figs, pistachio)
- fennel seeds-1tsp (optional)
- Dry flour for dusting
- Olive oil for toasting/ brushing the naan
- Combine hot water, yeast, salt in a large bowl and let it sit for 10-15minutes/until frothy.
- In a large mixing flour sift in the flour, add oil, milk and mix well to form crumbles.
- Then add in the yeast mixture and mix to a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel and let it rest in the warm place for about 1 ½-2hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- While the dough is resting, place the “filling” ingredients in a food processor or blender and process to a coarse powder .
Rolling out naans:
- Once the dough is doubled-knead knock the dough down and divide into 5-6portions make them to balls, dust some flour and roll the ball little, place a tablespoon of nut mix in the centre, pull the edges up towards centre, press and close the ball.
- Dust again and roll out the stuffed ball into an oblong/round shape for about 5-6inches diameter.
Cooking on griddle/tava:
- Heat the tava/griddle and place the rolled naan on it and cook for a 40-50sec/ until the blisters appear, turn over and cook other side for another 40-50sec and gently press with kitchen towel/spatula so that they puff up. Flip and cook both sides until evenly cooked and slight brown in colour.
Cooking in oven:
Pre-heat the oven at 200deg c leave the tray in the oven so that it gets really hot
Place 3-4naans at a time on the pre-heated tray carefully , taking care not to burn your fingers and bake for 6-8minutes/ until few golden brown spots appear-flipping half way.
Serve hot with any side dish of your choice.
- White flour also can be used for an added softer texture.
- Filling can be personalised as per the taste
- Yogurt can be used in place of milk for dough