Methi Malai Matar – Vegan and Cream free (Peas fenugreek leaves gravy)
Methi matar are super-hit combination because of their flavours complement each other well. Fresh methi leaves with green peas combined in a creamy sauce. With the contrasting flavours of the two vegetables methi leaves strong flavour with slightly bitter taste and sweet delicious taste from green peas.
The methi matar malai in restaurants would contain malai or cream which adds calories to dish. In this recipe to make it healthy have used water melon seeds, almonds paste which turns gravy heart-healthy, delicious and nutritious.
Methi is the super veggie helps to lower risk of diabetics, cholesterol and normalize blood pressure.
So enjoy this dairy free methi matar
Preparation time: 15minutes
Cooking time: 20minutes
- Chopped fenugreek/ methi leaves-2cups
- Green peas-1/2cup (I used frozen, if using fresh boil it before adding)
- Chopped onion-1num
- Salt- as per taste
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Garam masala-1tsp
- Soya milk-1cup
- Corn flour/corn starch-2tsp
- Chopped onion-2num
- Chopped tomato-3num
- Green chilli-4-5 (as per the spice)
- Garlic cloves-3
- Ginger-1 “ piece
- Water melon seeds-3tbsp
- Roughly chopped almonds-2tbsp
- Dissolve corn flour in 2-3tbsp of soya milk and set aside
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned under “ grinding” table in the food processor/blender and blend it to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in the non-stick pan add cumin seeds as it splutters add onion and saute for 1-2minutes/ until translucent.
- Add the ground paste and simmer for 4-5minutes, stirring in between
- Then add methi/fenugreek leaves and green peas and saute for 2-3minutes.
- Add milk, corn flour mixture, salt, turmeric mix well and bring it to boil on a medium high flame.
- Once it comes to boil add garam masala( adjust the consistency by adding water/some more soya milk at this stage) cover the lid and simmer again for 5-6minutes.
Serve hot with Naan/Roti
- For thinner consistency gravy skip Corn flour/corn Starch
- If you want more creamy gravy go ahead and add bit of cream but this may add bit of calorie to the dish.
- Spices and consistency of gravy can be personalised as per the taste.
- Water melon seeds can be replaced with pumpkin seeds/cashews
Posted on August 19, 2014, in Indian, Side dish, Vegan and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Indian healthy gravy, Indian Healthy side dishes, Vegan Indian side dish, Vegan recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 47 Comments.