Peas Masala for masala puri
Masala puri is one of the most popular chaat/snacks in most parts of the India. This can be easily prepared at home and make it healthier by using baked puris. It can be served as an appetizer.
The masala for chaats is
Preparation time: 25minutes
Cooking time: 20minutes
- Baked puri-20
- Yellow Mung dal-1/3cup
- Finely chopped onion-1/4cup
- Finely chopped tomato-1/4cup
- Red chilli powder-to sprinkle
- Salt- as per taste
- Chaat masala-to sprinkle
- Finely chopped dates-1tbsp
- Sev – to sprinkle
- Chopped onion-1num
- Green chillies-3num
- Mint leaves- a handful
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Lemon juice, chopped coriander, sev
- Soak peas overnight , drain
- Cook yellow mung beans and peas in a pressure cooker with enough for 3-4 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- As the steam escapes open the lid, mash peas, dal using mashed and set aside.
- Combine the ingredients mentioned under grinding table in a processer/ blender and blend it to fine paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in the non-stick pan adds ground paste and cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Then add mashed peas-mung dal , finely chopped dates, salt and give it a stir.
- Simmer and allow it to boil and thicken to the desired consistency. The gravy should not be too thick or too thin.
- Turn off the flame and start serving.
- In servings plate take 5-6 puris in each plate and crush them, add peas masala.
- Add onions, tomato and sev as topping.
- Drizzle some chilli powder, chaat masala, lemon juice
- Finally garnish with coriander, sev
- Green chutney and sweet chutney can be used, which are available in stores. Here mint leaves in masala and dates in the gravy are used as a variation
- Serving can be done as per the taste
- Chickpeas can be used in place of peas