Quinoa protein savoury balls
These are minty high protein, low fat bite sized balls. Peppers and onions add crunchiness in the bites and sauces makes it retain the moisture.
Quinoa is gluten free with a good balance of all eight essential amino acids; it is a good choice for vegetarians.
Quinoa is also high in fibre and has a low-GI, beneficial for keeping blood sugar levels stable; it is also an ideal grain for diabetics. It is one of the most nutrient rich grains being a good source of iron, Vitamin B & E. It is a “super food” and an amazing winter energizer.
So try this veggie quinoa minty balls with salad/rolls or pasta.
Preparation time:25 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
- Water 1 1/4cup
- Fresh mint leaves-10-15
- Finely chopped capsicum-1/2
- Finely chopped onion-1/2
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-2tsp+for brushing
- Soya sauce-1tbsp
- Garlic powder-1tsp
- Tomato paste/sauce-3tbsp
- Corn starch-2tbsp
- Any milk-3-4tbsp
- Toasted soya bran-1/4cup
- Rinse quinoa well and soak for 1hour.
- After 1hour drain and bring the water to boil in a medium pot over high heat. Add quinoa, lower heat and simmer, cover and cook.
- As soon as water is absorbed, turn off heat but leave covered.
- The steam will continue to cook the quinoa, resulting in fluffy quinoa grains.
- Heat oil in the pan; Add chopped onions, peppers and saute for 3-4minutes.
- Add garlic powder, mint leaves, paprika,soya sauce, tomato sauce/puree and saute for a minute
- Then add cooked quinoa, salt mix well until heated through.
- Turn off the flame and allow it to cool down before making balls.
- pre-heat the oven at 180deg, line and grease the baking tray/oven proof dish and set aside.
- Bowl 1: dissolve corn starch in milk and set aside
- Bowl 2: toasted soya bran and set aside
- Once the quinoa mixture cools down, roll into equal size balls and roll in the corn flour-milk mixture in bowl 1 and then roll in bowl 2 (toasted soya flakes) and place on the lined baking tray/dish
- Repeat the same with rest of the balls.
- Spray/brush over the top with some olive oil and then place the tray in the oven
- Bake until golden (approx. 25-30minutes)
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly and enjoy with mint sauce/ketchup.
- Spices can be varied as per the taste
- Baking time may vary as per the oven so keep an eye while baking
Posted on September 1, 2014, in Appetizers, Indian, International, Starters and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Quiona healthy balls, Quiona recipes, Quiona savoury recipe. Bookmark the permalink. 42 Comments.