Orange Pulao Rice – Vegan
This pulao is simple, rich and flavourful. The rice is cooked in orange juice, coconut milk with indian spices which is aromatic and has a sweet and tangy tones. Just to keep it simple I haven’t used any veggies in this pulao however can be included if desired. Adding nuts adds rich and nutty taste to the dish.
I cooked this pulao in a pot but this can be pressure cooked as well.
This dish can be served for breakfast or packed lunch with a side dish (Baby potato gravy)/yogurt dips
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Brown rice-2cups
- Orange juice-1cup
- Coconut milk-1cup
- Slit green chillies-3
- Bay leaf-1
- Saffron strands-a big pinch (soaked in 2-3tbsp of coconut milk/milk)
- Black cumin seeds-1tsp (can use regular cumin seeds instead)
- Dry nuts- a handful (cashew, almonds, pistachio, walnuts)
- Salt- to tatse
- Orange pulp from one orange.
- In a pan dry roast nuts, raisins and set aside.
- Rinse and soak rice for 45minutes-1hour. After soaking drain.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom and saute for 1-2minutes.
- Add soaked and drained rice and saute for 3-4minutes.
- Add coconut milk, water, salt cover and cook for 5-8minutes on a medium-high flame, stirring in between.
- Then add orange juice mix well and continue to cook on slow flame for about 15-20minutes or till the rice is cooked.
- Turn off the flame and add roasted nuts, soaked saffron strands mix well.
- Garnish with orange pulp.
I served this with baby potato gravy (link)
- Using fresh orange juice preferable than store bought.
- Vegetables of choice can be included.
- It can also be served with raita/yogurt dip (link).
I am bringing this to VVLP#16