Tofu tikka (Zero Oil)
Soft juice chunks of tofu marinated in spices and then roasted/grilled with veggies. This can make a great option as an appetizer/starter in parties or for evening snacks in a chilli winter days. This makes a great dish to be served in barbeque.
I served this with Italian salads for dinner (link)
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Waiting time: 1-2 hours (Marination)
Baking/cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Firm tofu-1 block (cut into 1inch square)
- Green Bell peppers-1 (cut into 1inch squares)
- Red bell peppers-1 (cut into 1inch squares)
- Onion-1 (cut into 1-inch chunks)
For the marinade:
- Thick curd/Hung curd-1cup
- Red chilli powder-1tsp
- Ginger garlic paste-1/2tsp
- Carom seeds/ajwain-1/2tsp
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Peanut powder-1tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Press tofu for 30 minutes to remove moisture- just drain completely and place the block on a kitchen towl/tissur wrap and place some heavy weight until moisture evaporates completely and then cut into cubes.
- beat hung curd/yogurt in a bowl till lump free and mix all the ingredients mentioned in the’ marinade’ table .
- to this yogurt mixture add in tofu, bell peppers, onion and carefully toss them until coated well with marinade.
- Just cover this bowl with a cling film and refrigerate at least for 2hours or more for all the flavours to blend well.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg C. Line the baking tray and keep aside.
- Once set bring back to the room temperature and arrange them in a tooth pick or skewers with veggies and tofu alternately.
- Arrange the tofu veggie skewer/ tooth pick on the lined tray and bake them for 20-25minutes, flipping halfway.
- (I tried to avoid using oil both in marination and in tikkis but feel free to do include if desired)
- Once baked arrange the tofu tikka on a plate and drizzle some lemon juice, chat masala/herbs and enjoy
- Panner (Cottage Cheese) can be used instead of Tofu
- Cherry tomatoes or any veggies of choice can be included
- Oil can be used for greasing or in marination.
- This can be cooked even on the skillet or tandoor.