Cream cheese whole wheat cookies with Prune Jam
These are cream cheese cookies with wheat flour makes it healthier. These are bit softer in the center and crispier on the edges. The jam filling makes it a perfect treat, I used prune jam in this cookies but you can use any flavour of jam.
Yields: 18-20 cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
- Low fat cream cheese-100gms
- Olive oil spread/butter-4-5tbsp
- Honey/brown sugar-1/2cup
- Wheat flour-1cup
- Corn starch-3-4tbsp
- Vanilla extract-1tbsp
- Baking powder-1/2tsp
- Pitted prunes-150-200gms
- Water-just enough to cover prunes
- Lime juice-2tsp
- Pre-heat the oven at 170deg, line and grease the baking tray and set aside.
- Cream together olive butter, honey, cream cheese until well mixed. Add in vanilla flavour mix well
- Combine wheat flour, corn starch, salt in other bowl.
- Gradually sift in flour to the cream cheese-butter mixture and stir until blended well.
- Chill the dough for 30minutes.
Meanwhile prepare the jam:
- Soak prunes for 2hours, rinse and then place into a saucepan.
- Add water and honey/brown sugar to the pan, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until the prunes have completely softened (about 15-20minutes).
- Stir every so often to ensure they do not stick to the pan.
- Once the prunes are soft and most of the water has been absorbed remove from the heat.
- Cool a bit and smooth by pureeing it/ just mash it using the fork but might be bit chunkier in texture.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and place dough in a piping bag fitted with star tip, squeezing the dough toward the tip of the bag to eliminate air pockets
- Hold the bag perpendicular to a baking sheet, aiming the tip where you want the center of the cookie to be. Squeezing firmly on the bag’s end, pipe the cookies by guiding the bag in a counterclockwise spiral out from the cookie’s center.
- With the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation about 1/2inch wide and 1/2inch deep in the center of each spiral, dip the spoon handle in flour if it sticks to the cookie dough.
- Place a teaspoon of jam into each cookie indentation to fully fill, don’t overfill or the jam wil run out onto cookie.
- Bake cookies until the edges are golden brown, about 15-20minutes.
- Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5minutes before removing to a rack to cool.
- Using wheat flour makes the cookies bit softer but the tastes delicious.
- Can use readymade jam of any flavour/any homemade jam as the filling.
- Instead of piping can go for the easier way – just makes balls, make an indent in cookies-fill jam and bake