Bitter gourd (Melons)/ Karela baked chips
Spicy, tangy and healthy munchies. Bitter melons are considered as healthy vegetable but just because of its bitterness many tend to avoid it. This way of baking and consuming them makes it healthy with a snack to enjoy with a unique taste. This can be served as a snack/appetizer.
I was inspired by Malar’s Baked Karela.. Thanks Malar…I tried with few variations and it turned out well without the feel of any bitterness…
Bitter gourd is believed to improve the body’s ability to use blood sugar and glucose tolerance. It is helpful in fighting cancer and several infections. It’s high beta-carotene that helps alleviate eye problems and improve eyesight. The juice of the leaf has been found to be beneficial in the treatment of alcoholism. It is also said to build the immune system.
Consuming 20 ml of the juice daily helps cleanse the liver. It is recommended for asthma patients.
Yields ~ 250 gms
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 30-40minutes
Waiting time: 2-3hours
- Bitter melon/karela-3medium
- Rice flour-1tbsp-2tbsp
- Corn flour-1tbsp
- Olive oil- 1tbsp
- Salt-1/2tsp/ as per taste
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Garlic powder-1tsp
- Dry mango powder-1tsp
- Wash and cut and discard both ends of the bitter gourd, then cut them into 1/4inch thickness round and set aside in colander with 1/4tsp salt for 2-3hours.
- Pre-heat the oven at 18odeg C, line the baking tray with baking sheet and grease with cooking spray and keep aside.
- In a bowl combine rice flour, corn flour, chilli powder,dry mango powder, garlic powder, oil and set aside.
- After the resting period of bitter gourd squeeze slightly the chopped and soaked gourds and this to the spice and flour mixture and toss until coated evenly.
- Once tossed arrange on the lined and greased baking tray and bake for 35-40minutes, flipping halfway so that both sides are cooked evenly.
Let it cool on baking sheet for 10minutes before serving.
- Thin slices makes it crispier
- Baking time depends on the thickness of slices