Italian Knot whole wheat Garlic bread
This is a classic Italian snack, garlic knots are strips of pizza dough tied in. Here in this recipe to make knots I used whole wheat flour in the dough and olive oil and olive spread but feel free to use plain flour and butter if desired. Plain flour definitely gives a soft texture inside and easy to handle but using wheat flour makes it healthy and without much compromising in taste- crusty on outside, soft inside and the garlic olive oil soaked flavour.
Enjoy this during the evening snacks or even on the party tables with Italian platter.
I served this with baked mushroom pasta casserole(link)
Preparation time-15 minutes
Waiting time-1 ½-2 hours
Baking time-20 minutes
- Whole wheat flour-2cups
- Salt- 1/2tsp
- Garlic powder-1tsp
- Active dry yeast-2tsp
- Warm water(110-120degF)-1cup (plus extra if required more for the dough)
- Olive oil-1tbsp+for brushing
- Olive oil spread-2tbsp
- Finely crushed garlic-4cloves
- Finely chopped fresh parsley-to sprinkle
- Combine warm water, olive oil, salt, honey, yeast in a large bowl-sprinkle yeast cover and rest for 5-10minutes
- As the yeast mixture is frothy add in flour and mix to form soft pliable dough. Knead for 4-5minutes and transfer to the greased bowl cover and rest for 1-2hours/until doubled in volume.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180degC, line the baking tray with the baking sheet grease and keep aside.
- Once the dough doubled in size punch down and transfer the dough onto the lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to a 12x10inch rectangle strips, cut crosswise into 12-14strips tie each strips into a knot and place on a greased and line baking tray.
- Brush knots with olive oil and bake until golden for 15-18minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan heat garlic, olive oil spread and olive oil over medium heat for 3-5minutes.
- Immediately once bread is baked Pour garlic oil mixture over bread knots in a bowl, season with salt and chopped parsley and toss.
- Plain flour can be used alternatively 50:50 of plain flour:wheat flour can be used.
Posted on September 18, 2014, in Appetizers, International. Bookmark the permalink. 20 Comments.
They look very lovely Chitra 🙂
Thanx Dear.. 🙂 🙂
Reblogged this on MrMilitantNegro™.
Thanx for your support Juesseppi. … 🙂 🙂
Yummy Chitra 🙂
Thanx Deeps. .. 🙂 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanx Roja for your visit and feedback. .. it means a lot… have a good day… 🙂 🙂
Love these delicious little garlic knots, I have a bread recipe that also ties in knots and they are fun to make…oh, and eat, too!
True….They made me recollect the way we knot the hair 🙂
For a long I want to make garlic bread. Now it seems to be possible as I have your recipe. 🙂
Oh thanx Jay… so sweet letmme me know when you try them dear…….. 🙂 🙂
It looks delicious! Interesting to know about the Italian knot… TC! Keep smiling 🙂 Happy cooking!
Thanx for you sweet and encouraging words dear Sindhu. … Tc dear…
Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.
When I saw the main image, (the bottom left bread especially), for a split second I thought its turkey.. then I realized man, I am in Chitra’s blog. how can it be.. lol. Love garlic breads that too from whole wheat yummmm
Thanks Sri….I am relooking at my pic 🙂
Wow knot bread what a lovely thought dear:-) love it
Thanx dear for your encouraging words… 🙂 🙂