Steamed Spinach Rolls filled with Mashed potato
I’ll use just about any excuse to work more dark leafy greens like Spinach, Fenugreek and kale etc., into my diet. I blend them into smoothies, shred them for salads and add them to almost every soup I make.
My newest obsession is using the leaves in place of tortillas and wraps to enclose favourite filling.
Like other dark greens, spinach is an excellent source of beta-carotene, a powerful disease-fighting antioxidant that’s been shown, among other things, to reduce the risk of developing cataracts. It fights heart disease and cancer as well. Spinach also contains lipoic acid, which is being investigated for regulating blood sugar levels.
Yields: 10 rolls
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Large spinach leaves-10 (if its thin then each roll need 2)
- Cooked and mashed potato-2 medium
- Mint-a handful
- Green chilli-1
- Ginger-1/2inch piece
- Salt- to taste
- Lemon juice- to taste
- Place mint, chilli, ginger, garlic in a blender/food processor and ground until crushed.
- Now in a bowl combine cooked and mashed potato, crushed mixture, salt, lemon juice and mix well until combined.
- Wash the spinach leaves and pat dry them.
- Place a leaf on a work surface(use two leaves if its thin-overlap one on the other) , fill 1-2 tablespoon of filling on one side of the wrap leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Fold the ends in and then roll the leaf up burrito-style and pierce a tooth pick and place in the colander/steamer mesh.
- Bring 2-3 cups of water to boil in a large pot place the steamer/colander in the pot and steam for 4-5 minutes.
- After steaming carefully transfer it on to the serving plate and enjoy with salads/sauces.
- Fillings can be personalised.
- Spinach leaves are thin so I tried to blanch in the beginning and so did the steaming after filling. If the leaves are thick can blanch and then do the filling and if so steaming can be skipped.
Posted on September 19, 2014, in Appetizers, Indian, International, Starters, Vegan and tagged Vegan Recipes; Gluten Free recipes; drchdietfood; Chitras Healthy Kitchen. Bookmark the permalink. 85 Comments.