Quinoa vegetable pilaf casserole – 2 ways
Pilaf (also known as pilav, pilau, plov,pulao) is a traditional indian rice dish with vegetables and plenty of flavours. It is a wholesome rice dish packed with full of nutrients from vegetables and using quinoa makes it healthy and rich in fiber.
I love casserole dishes. a one dish meal is convenient, easy and reminds me of home. This baked casserole is vegetable quinoa pilaf- its packed with protein through quinoa, nutrients through veggies.
You can make this casserole in advance and bake it later. This serves great for lunch/dinner.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-35 minutes
- Carrot-1medium (peeled and julienned)
- Green beans-1/2cup (sliced)
- Bell peppers-1(sliced)
- Sweet corn-1/2cup
- Green chilli-2 (chopped/slit to two)
- Vegetable oil-1tbsp
- Chopped garlic-2cloves
- Grated ginger-1tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Salt- to taste
For garam maslas powder:
- Black pepper corns-5
- Whole cloves-3
- Ground nutmeg-1/4tsp
- Cinnamon-1inch stick
- Star anise-1
- Low fat mozzarlla cheese-75-100gms
- Roughly chopped Mixed nuts- a handful (almonds, pista, cashew, walnuts)
- Sliced onion-1medium
- Chopped tomatoes-2medium
For garam masala:
- Combine all the spices listed in the table above in a blender and grind finely as possible and keep aside.
- Rinse and wash thoroughly the quinoa and soak for 30minutes, then drain again.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, when it hot add in bay leaf, ginger, garlic and saute for few seconds. (approx. 10-15seconds)
- Now add the chillies, carrot, green beans and stir and cook for 2-3minutes
- Add in peas, sweet corn and cook for 1-2minutes
- Add turmeric, ground garam masala powder and saute for a minute or two.
- Now add in soaked and drained quinoa.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir the rice very gently to mix it into other ingredients and coat it with oil and spices. cook this way for 2-3minutes
- Add in 2cups of water, salt and bring to the boil.
- Cover the lid and then turn the heat to very low and cook for 15-18minutes/until quinoa is tender and fluffy.
- Continue to simmer 5 -8 minutes more if you don’t wish to bake for rice casserole
- (Include cheese if required 2 mins before taking it off from hob)
- While serving top with roasted nuts or fried onions and Enjoy
- Before baking for casserole let the rice/ quinoa cool down to room temperature so just spread in a broad dish so that it helps to separate the grain from becoming mushy.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg C. grease a 8×8/any oven safe dish.
- Pour the pilaf rice into the prepared baking dish top it with some onion, chopped nuts and cheese
- Bake for 18-20 minutes
Serve hot with Raita (links)/any side dish of your choice.
- Any rice can be used alternatively to quinoa.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
I am bringing this to Angie’s Fiest Friday #36