Japanese vegetable pancakes (okonomiyaki)
It is a savoury Japanese style pancake made from batter and shredded cabbage and other vegetables. Okonomi infact translates to ‘as you like’ or ‘what you want’ so the pancakes can be customised.
As per traditional Japnese Okonomi once done they are topped with Mayonese or okonomiyaki sauce. Here have used a sauce using Rice Vinegar and Soy sauce.
Yields: 5-6 medium pancakes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes (4-5 minutes per pancakes)
- Whole wheat flour-1cup
- Rice flour-1/4cup
- Chopped scallions/spring onions-1/2cup
- Shredded cabbage-1/2cup
- Chopped kale-1/2cup
- Chopped dill leaves-1/4cup
- Cherry tomato-8-10 (each cut into 2-3slices)
- Any milk of choice-3/4cup
- Sliced Mushrooms-5
- Baking powder- a big pinch
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-to toast pancakes
- Pre-heat the skillet/pan greasing some oil on a medium heat.
- Combine wheat flour, rice, baking powder, salt in a large bowl and add in milk and water to form a batter.
- Now add veggies- cabbage, scallions, kale, dill leaves, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes mix well until combined.
- Pour a large pancake sized serving out onto your pan.
- Allow to cook thoroughly on both sides (3-5 minutes, depending on the veggies and thickness).
Serve hot with dipping sauce (link)
- Veggies can be personalised for variation
- I made thick pancakes with full of veggies and greens, feel free to personalise as per the taste.