Vegetable Kashmiri pulao
This is a very simple, delicious pulao which is sweet and mildly aromatic with raisins, cashew and vegetables. Usually it is a fancy pulao with dry nuts and mixed fruits.
Got inspired by Vidya’s Kashmiri Pulao as well Jayeeta’s Vegetable Pulao. (cooking delight). As a variation have blended vegetables and nuts using Mediterranean bulgur. The taste was very soothing…
Using Bulgur is a great way to add more whole grains in your diet. , Bulgur offers more fiber, protein, minerals, and vitamins. Plus, it’s a low-glycemic grain and boasts a great nutty flavor.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Mediterranean bulgur-2cups
- Thinly sliced carrot-1
- Thinly sliced green beans-1/2cup
- Frozen peas-1/2cup
- Cinnamon sticks-1inch
- Bay leaf-1
- Cardamom pods-3
- Raisins-a handful
- Cashew nuts- a handful
- Saffron – A big pinch (Soaked in 2-3 tbsp of Milk)
- Low fat Milk – 1 cup
- Shahi Jeera – 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns-8
- Salt- as per taste
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Roasted nuts
- Bulgur cooks faster so haven’t pre-soaked it, can soak if desire and if using rice rinse and soak for 15-20minutes
- Heat oil in a pan; Add Shahi Jeera, Bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper corns.
- When the spices begin to release their aroma, add rice, cashews, raisins and saute for 4-5minutes until the bulgur changes it colour and is slightly crisp.
- Add in carrot, beans and saute until they are half cooked.
- Add 2cups of water, Milk, Salt, peas and cook on a medium low flame until the bulgur is fluffy and cooked.
- Finally once the bulgur is cooked turn off the flame; Stir in soaked Saffron
- Garnish with roasted nuts and raisins.
- Any rice of your choice can be used.
- Feel free to include ghee or butter but might add some calorie in your diet.
Posted on October 8, 2014, in Indian, Main dish and tagged Bulgur recipes, Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Sweet and Savoury rice recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 14 Comments.
Love kashmiri pulao, loved you variation with bulgur!!!
Thanx Malar… 🙂 🙂
Reblogged this on SherayxWeblog.
Thanks for your support
That’s a genius idea Chits ❤
Sweet Charu… 🙂 ❤
Wonderful Chitra I think the bulgur is a great idea replacing the rice.
Thanx Suzanne for your encouraging words. …have a fabulous day… 🙂 🙂
One of my favorite dish, Chitra 🙂
Same pinch. .. my favourite tooo…;) 😉
Wow… What a genius fusion Chitra.. Loved it… 🙂 🙂
Thanx dear for your visit and feedback. .. good day .. 🙂
Loved your version with bulgur……I am a fan of your creativity dear 🙂
Oh dear thanx a zillion bunch for such encouraging words. …I pass it on to my dad god- the creator… thanx a ton…