Vegetable Kashmiri pulao
This is a very simple, delicious pulao which is sweet and mildly aromatic with raisins, cashew and vegetables. Usually it is a fancy pulao with dry nuts and mixed fruits.
Using Bulgur is a great way to add more whole grains in your diet. , Bulgur offers more fiber, protein, minerals, and vitamins. Plus, it’s a low-glycemic grain and boasts a great nutty flavor.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Mediterranean bulgur-2cups
- Thinly sliced carrot-1
- Thinly sliced green beans-1/2cup
- Frozen peas-1/2cup
- Cinnamon sticks-1inch
- Bay leaf-1
- Cardamom pods-3
- Raisins-a handful
- Cashew nuts- a handful
- Saffron – A big pinch (Soaked in 2-3 tbsp of Milk)
- Low fat Milk – 1 cup
- Shahi Jeera – 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns-8
- Salt- as per taste
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Roasted nuts
- Bulgur cooks faster so haven’t pre-soaked it, can soak if desire and if using rice rinse and soak for 15-20minutes
- Heat oil in a pan; Add Shahi Jeera, Bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper corns.
- When the spices begin to release their aroma, add rice, cashews, raisins and saute for 4-5minutes until the bulgur changes it colour and is slightly crisp.
- Add in carrot, beans and saute until they are half cooked.
- Add 2cups of water, Milk, Salt, peas and cook on a medium low flame until the bulgur is fluffy and cooked.
- Finally once the bulgur is cooked turn off the flame; Stir in soaked Saffron
- Garnish with roasted nuts and raisins.
- Any rice of your choice can be used.
- Feel free to include ghee or butter but might add some calorie in your diet.