No knead whole wheat bread (ZERO Oil)
No Knead bread is a method of bread baking that uses a very long fermentations (Rising). This bread takes longer time instead of kneading to form the gluten strands to give the bed its texture.
It is characterised by a low yeast content and very wet dough.
This bread Is insanely brilliant and no sticky fingers and no doughy mess and no intricate measuring and no complicate kneading.
Yields: 3 – 4 servings (~800 gms)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Waiting time: 15-20 hours
Baking time: 40-45 minutes
- Brown Bread Flour-2cups
- Whole wheat flour-2cups
- Carom seeds/ajwain-2tsp
- Warm water-2 1/4cups
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl just until they are thoroughly blended, dough will be shaggy and sticky.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest at least 15 hours (preferably 18 hours) at warm room temperature.
- Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it, fold the dough over the flour once or twice.
- Lightly shape and dough into ball and generously coat a cotton towel with flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover and let it rise for about 1-2hours more.
- When the dough is ready- it will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
- At least a half an hour before dough is ready, heat the oven at 220deg C. put a 6-8 quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, ceramic) in oven while pre-heating.
- When the dough is ready carefully remove pot from oven and slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into the pot, seam side up. (Shake the pan to straighten out the dough )
- Cover with lid and bake for 30minutes. After 30minutes, remove the lid from the pot and place the pot again in the oven and bake for another 12-15minutes.
- Then take the pot out of the oven and use a large spatula to remove the bread. Let it cool on a cooling rack about 15-20minutes before cutting.
- Ajwain/carom seeds adds flavour to bread