Drumstick pulp-white bean-spinach soup – Protein and Iron rich
Drumstick is usually used in sambars/currys in India but here in this soup i scooped out the soft pulp of the drumstick and used it in the soup with protein rich beans and iron rich spinach to make it a healthy wholesome soup. This can be served as a soup or stew.
Drumstick soup is beneficial in asthma, bronchitis, arthritis, diabetes, and low blood pressure. It shows positive effects in amenorrhea and reduction of weight. Being warm in potency, it is very effective against digestive disorders such as anorexia and flatulence.
White kidney beans are a protein-rich starchy vegetable, full of vitamins, minerals and an excellent source of dietary fiber. Adding them to your diet offers a variety of health benefits such as promoting digestive health and preventing heart disease.
This can be served with garlic bread/breads (link)
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-40-45 minutes
Waiting time-6-8hours (if using dry beans)
- Chopped Spinach-2cups
- Dry white beans-1/3cup
- Red lentils/Masoor Dal –1/2 cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped tomatoes-2medium
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1/2tsp
- Chopped garlic-3
- Lemon juice-as per taste
- Salt- to taste
- Rinse and soak white beans with plenty of water overnight. Next day drain and rinse the soaked beans well.
- Rinse and wash Red lentils (No soaking required)
- Combine white beans, masoor dal/red lentils in a pressure cooker with 3-4cups of water and cook for 4-5whistles and wait until the steam escapes before opening the lid.
- Meanwhile wash and chop drumstick into finger sized pieces. Heat 2-3cups of water in a sauce pan and cook chopped drumstick until tender. Once cooked strain and separate cooked drumstick and water (retain the water as it can be used in soup)
- Take each drumstick slit open and using a spoon scoop out the pulp (as we scoop out cucumber seeds) from it and keep aside as we are using this in the soup and discard the outer layer.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add in onions, tomatoes, garlic and saute for 3-4minutes.
- Add in chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder stir and continue to cook for 2-3minutes/until the raw flavour goes off.
- Add in cooked beans, red lentils, drumstick pulp, spinach with water and allow it to boil on a low flame.
- As it comes to boil add in salt mix well and simmer for 5minutes more.
- Turn off the flame and stir in lemon juice.
- Canned beans can also be used, if using canned make sure to rinse thoroughly before using.
- Any beans can be used alternatively.
- Red lentils thickens the soup and so haven’t used any cream/coconut milk in here.