Sweet potato latkes – Vegan
Latkes are potato pancakes that are traditionally fried in oil. “I love the challenge of taking a traditional dish and tweaking it in such a way that you arrive at something new and different”
Sweet potato, not only is just sweet to your taste buds but also good for your cardiovascular health! It is an edible, underground tuber initially cultivated in the Central American region. This crunchy, starch root vegetable is rich source of flavonoid anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber that are essential for optimal health.
I served these latkes with soy ginger sauce (recipe link)
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-7-8 minutes per batch (I cooked 4 latkes at a time)
- Sweet potoato-2 medium
- Finely chopped-1 medium
- Flax meal-( 1 tablespoon ground + 3tablespoon water)
- Powdered oats-3-4t ablespoon
- Rice flour-1-2 tablespoon
- Salt- to taste
- Minced garlic-2 cloves
- Minced green chilli-1 (alternatively any spice can be sued)
- Oil- for toasting
- Whip flax meal and set aside.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and grate them, place them in a muslin cloth/dish towel and wring out as much of the moisture.
- Combine sweet potatoes, finely chopped onions, whipped flax meal, flour, powdered oats, salt, minced garlic, chilli.
- Heat a skillet grease some oil and take a heap of mixture and press between the palms as desire and place it on the skillet and make similar patties 3-4 depending on the size of the skillet .
- Cook until the latkes browns and easily removes from the pan (3-4minutes)
- Flip and cook on the other side again for 3-4minutes/until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Potato can be used alternatively to sweet potato.
- Alternatively any flour can be used.
Posted on October 23, 2014, in Appetizers, Breakfast, Indian, International, Starters, Vegan and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Sweet potato cutlets, Sweet potato recipes, Vegan recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 22 Comments.