Wheat bran Halwa/Porridge
This halwa can be made instantly whenever you feel like having some sweets. This dish is not much on sweet and fat. I know wheat bran is not tasty by itself but adding it in sweet makes it tastier and fiber rich.
Most grains, like wheat and oats, have a hard outer layer. When they are processed, this layer becomes a byproduct, and is called bran. In the case of processing wheat to make wheat flour, one gets miller’s or wheat bran. Wheat bran is packed with nutrition, and offers many dietary benefits.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
- Wheat bran-1cup
- Brown sugar/jaggery-1/2 to 3/4 cup (as sweet desired)
- Water- 1cup
- Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
- Soya spread-2-3tbsp (can also substitute with butter)
- Chopped nuts
- Roast wheat bran for 2-3minutes and set aside.
- Combine water, brown sugar/jaggery and bring it
- Now stir in roasted wheat bran little at a time.
- Continue to cook on a low flame until it slightly thickens and gives nice aroma.
- As it thickens stir in soya spread/butter, cardamom powder mix well until combined.
Garnish with nuts and serve warm.
- Sweet can be balanced as per the taste.
- Wheat bran flakes will have slightly bitter taste so sugar can increased if desired.