Baked – Spicy coated mixed nuts (Zero Oil)
My dad was a foodie and he was crazy on fried goodies and so as coated peanuts. Thatz how this coated nuts came in to thought. So thanks to my dad god for bringing all thoughts in me and making me do what am doing today.
Here in this recipe I used Almonds, Pecan nuts, Walnuts, Pistachios and coated it with gram flour, rice flour and spiced using green chills. Used curry leaves for the flavour so coating with flours helps to form a crispy coating on the nuts after baking.
This portable snack mix is prefect for tailgating or holiday entertaining.
Yields: 2 cups
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30-40 minutes
- Mixed nuts-2cups (I used walnuts, almonds, pistachio, pecan nuts)
- Besan flour-1/2cup
- Rice flour-2tbsp
- Green chillies- as per spice
- Curry leaves-5-6
- Salt-to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 150deg C. line the baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a food processor or motor and pestle crush curry leaves, chillies and set aside.
- Combine gram flour, rice flour, salt, crushed chilles-curry leaves in a mixing bowl, add in sunflower spread and little 1-2tbsp of water at a time until a thick dropping consistency paste is obtained.
- Now add nuts to the paste and stir well to coat evenly.
- Spread the coated nuts on the prepared baking sheet spreading evenly in a single layer.
- Roast for 30-40minutes to a golden brown (do not allow the nuts to darken too much so keep an eye and remove once it crispy and golden in colour), stir the nuts half way for even cooking.
- Once baked remove the nuts from the oven and spread on the other foil or parchment paper and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled store in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste. Paprika or chilli powder can be used to substitute green chillies
- Alternatively egg can also be used instead of flours.
- Any combination of nuts can be used as a variation.
- I used baking sheet hence no oil required for greesing. If using foil oil would be required to greece