Lentils stuffed bell peppers – Cook or Bake
For a low fat, high protein dinner idea that’s full of nutrients, try these lentil stuffed peppers
I love this dish and I love that they are fewer calories and have more fiber then traditional stuffed peppers. This is a very filling dish!! Lentils provide plenty of protein and makes a great vegetarian dinner.
This can be served on its own as an appetizer or as a side dish with any rice dish (link) or Chapathis/Parathas
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- Bell peppers-5large (halved and deseeded)
- Olive oil-2tsp+for toasting peppers
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Diced tomatoes-2medium
- Minced garlic-2cloves
- Minced green chillies-3
- Cooked lentils-2cups (I used brown lentils, green moong beans, yellow split moong beans.
- Salt-to taste
- Heat oil in the non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add in minced garlic, onions, green chillies and saute for 2-3minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Now add in cooked lentils stir until combined well and heated through.
- Now stuff peppers with lentil mixture and either cook them in the oven or in the pan.
For oven baking:
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg C. line the baking tary/dish with parchment paper.
- Place the lentil stuffed peppers on the baking dish/tary without overlapping and bake for 25-30minutes /until tender.
For pan roasting:
- Grease a non-stick pan with oil and arrange the stuffed peppers in the pan.
- Cook on a medium low flame for 8-10minutes or until bell peppers are tender and cooked.
- Once cooked serve this peppers with any flavoured rice or it can also be served by itself.
- Can include rice/bulgur with lentils if desired.