Nutty tomato pizza sauce
This is similar to regular pasta/pizza sauce but here roasted nuts is been added. This sauce can be used as a tomato base on a pizza or pasta. In this sauce tomato puree is been simmered to thick consistency with dried Italian herbs, mint and spiced with paprika. Roasted chopped nuts is been added and it can also be blended to powder before adding it to the sauce.
I served this with Oats and Whole wheat flower pizza (Check for recipe by clicking here).
Yields: 2 medium pizza
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Tomato puree-2cups/500ml (fresh /canned tomatoes can be used)
- Roasted chopped nuts-1/4cup (Walnuts, Pecan nuts, Almonds and Peanuts)
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Minced garlic-3cloves
- Dried herbs-1/2tsp
- Chopped mint-15-20leaves
- Ground black pepper-1/4tsp
- Salt- to taste
- In a small sauce pan heat olive oil add in onions, as the onion becomes translucent and softens a bit.
- Add in tomato puree, paprika, honey stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until thick. Add the salt, blend with a stick blender. Stir in oregano, roasted chopped nuts.
- Cool sauce completely. Use it on pizza base.
- Cheese can be included if desired.
- Nuts varities and quantity can be personalised