Baked Bottle gourd Kofta/Dumplings in Walnut Tomato gravy
Bottle gourd/Lauki/Dudhi kofta curry is the tastiest dish. Here the koftas are made with grated bottle gourd, carrot, gram flour and baked until golden and then simmered in the walnut-tomato gravy. Using walnuts helps to thicken the gravy and gives a creamy texture without adding any cream or milk. However any nuts can be used alternatively and feel free to use cream/milk if desired.
This side dish can be served with Paratha/Naan/Roti (Recipe links click here).
Dudhi is considered to have medicinal value in the treatment of urinary tract infections, constipation, insomnia, fatigue and weight loss. It has been heavily used over the years in the Indian Ayurvedic medicinal system, and continues to hold an important place in Ayurveda.
Walnuts are high in protein, vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, trace minerals, lecithin and oils. Moreover, walnuts have insignificant amounts of sodium and are cholesterol free
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
Baking time-20-25 minutes
- Grated bottle gourd(doodhi/lauki)-1cup
- Grated carrot-1medium
- Gram flour-1/2cup
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Baking soda-a pinch
- Salt- to taste
For walnut tomato gravy:
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped Walnuts-a handful
- Chopped garlic-2cloves
- Chopped ginger-2tsp
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
Spices for gravy:
- bay leaf-1
- cinnamon-1 “stick
- chilli powder-1tsp
- coriander powder-1tsp
- salt- to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg, line the baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Squeeze out excess fluid from grated doodhi/bottle gourd.
- Combine squeezed bottle gourd, carrot, gram flour, chilli powder, turmeric, baking soda, salt in a bowl and mix well without adding any water.
- Divide into equal portions and make small balls out of it.
- Place on the prepared baking tray and bake for 20-25minutes.
For walnut-tomato gravy:
- Blanch tomatoes in hot water for few minutes and then peel the skin, blend it to puree and set aside.
- Now combine almonds, onion, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds in the blender/food processor and blends it to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in the pan add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove and saute for few seconds.
- Now add in onion-walnut paste, tomato puree and saute for 3-4minutes, stirring in between.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, salt, ½-3/4cup water as per the desired consistency, mix well and bring it to boil.
- As the gravy reaches desired consistency add in baked koftas and simmer for 5-8minutes or until the koftas blends well in the gravy.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with naan/paratha/roti.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
- Cream/milk can be included for creamy texture.