Kale Tomato brown rice bath
This hearty one-skillet dinner is loaded with kale, tomatoes and quick-cooking brown rice
Here the brown rice sauted in tomato puree, kale and aromatic spices. I am always on the lookout for new recipes that incorporate the vitamin-packed green, and stumbled upon this recipe for kale fried rice.
Kale improves blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health, lowering the risk of developing asthma and more.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes (excluding the cooking time of rice)
- Cooked brown rice- 2cups
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Cinnamon-1 “stick
- Star ansie-2 petals from 1ansie
- Minced garlic-2cloves
- Minced ginger-1tsp
- Slit green chillies-2
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Tomato puree-1cup
- Chopped kale-1cup
- Paprika/chilli powder-1tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Chopped coriander-to garnish
- Cook rice ahead and let it to cool completely before making tomato rice
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, ansie petals and saute for 20-30 seconds.
- Add minced ginger, garlic, onion, green chillies and saute until onions are translucent.
- Now add tomato puree, turmeric, chilli powder, salt and cook on a medium flame for 3-4minutes.
- Add chopped kale and saute for a minute or two on a medium-low flame.
- As the water from the mixture evaporates and slightly thickens add cooked rice and mix gently and cook on a medium flame for another 2-3minutes/until heated through, while stirring occasionally.
Serve hot with special cucumber Jalepanos Raita (Recipe link clock here).
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.