Pizza Pin wheels/bites Wheat and oats
Pizza pinwheels are a quick snack and it makes a great party appetizer. These pinwheels are easy to make except for the waiting time of the dough. The dough I used is the blend of whole wheat flour and powdered oats but can even use plain flour or puff pastry rolls for instant and quick version. But using whole wheat and oats without any oil makes it healthy and guilt free.
This pinwheels are same as pizza recipe except that it has to be rolled and shaped to small bites where kids love it tooo.
So enjoy this pinwheels with family friends and even as a party appetizer.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Baking time-12-15 minutes
Waiting time-1-2 hours
- Whole wheat flour-1cup
- Powdered oats-1/2cup
- Salt-to taste
- Carom seeds/ajwain-1tsp
- Warm milk(semi-skimmed)-1/2cup
- Olive oil (For brushing)
- low fat cheese (For topping)
- Hot water-1/2 cup (or as required to form the dough)
- Pizza nut sauce-to spread
- Finely chopped onion-2-3tbsp
- Finely chopped bell peppers/capsicum-2-3tbsp
- Milk-to brush
- In a medium bowl whisk together the honey, warm water ,sprinkle yeast and leave it on the counter for 10-15minutes/until frothy.
- In a mixing bowl sieve in wheat flour, powdered oats, salt, carom seeds and add in yeast mixture mix well and then start adding milk little at a time until soft and pliable dough is formed.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, knead a bit for 5-7 minutes.
- Then transfer it into a bowl brush some warm water wrap and allow it to ferment for 45 minutes-1 hour
- After an hour punch down the dough and transfer to the floured surface, roll the dough into circle
- Brush some olive oil
- Spoon the sauce onto the rolled out dough, using the bottom of a spoon to spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with the chopped bell peppers/capsicum, onions (can sprinkle some cheese if desired).
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg C, line the baking tray with the baking sheet and keep aside.
- Carefully roll up the dough into a log. It will be a little soft and precarious.
- Use a sharp knife to cut about 1/2inch slices. Hold the sliced roll together with your fingers while you transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Bake for 15-18minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Serve warm with sauce.
- Filling can be personalised and oil can be included if required.
- I used low fat milk to make the dough soft as I tried to avoid milk so can add in oil and skip milk if desired.