Steamed Beet and Red beans curry
Deep pink in colour and retaining that unique beet flavour, this curry makes a stunning addition to curries. Addition of kidney beans, onion and tomatoes tastes like an authentic Rajma Curry. The spices and mint adds flavour to the curry along with ginger and garlic.
I served this with Oats and flaxseed Roti ( recipe link)
Health benefits of beetroot:
Beets are small herbaceous plants with broad dark-green leaves. Although the leaves have always been eaten, historically the beet root was generally used medicinally for a range of ailments, including fevers, constipation and skin problems. More recent health claims suggest beetroot can help lower blood pressure, boost exercise performance and prevent dementia.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Cooking time-25 minutes
- Baby Beetroot-4-5 (peeled and diced to 1cm pieces)
- Cooked Rajma/red kidney beans-1tin
- Finely Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped tomatoes-2medium
- Grated garlic-2cloves
- Grated ginger-1inch piece
- Slit chillies-2
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp (optional)
- Chopped mint- a handful
- Salt-to taste
- Lemon juice-to taste
- Heat 1-2cm water in a large sauce pan and place the chopped beet on a colander/steamer and steam until soft and tender. (approx. 12-15minutes) and keep aside.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly timed kidney beans to remove sodium content.
- Heat oil in a skillet/pan add cumin seeds as it splutters add the grated ginger-garlic, slit chillies and saute for a minute or two, stirring continuously.
- Add the onions and continue to cook until the onions are soft.
- Then add tomatoes, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and cook until tomatoes are soft and mushy (~4-6minutes)
- Then add steamed beetroot and rinsed rajma/kidney beans and cook further and bring to boil, stirring regularly.
- Finally add in chopped mint, salt and cook for a few minutes until the greens are tender.
- Turn off the flame and stir in lemon juice.
Serve with rice/ roti/paratha/ Naan (link)
- Can skip chilli powder and just use chillies to reduce the hot.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.