Stir fried Purple carrot bulgur topped with toasted seeds
This is a simple and flavourful rice dish where i used bulgur and purple carrots as main ingredients. I was attracted by the colour of these carrots, they are not only beautiful in it elegant purple colour, packed with nutrients and have a sweet flavour.
I have made this real super dish using onion and the aromatic flavour from fennel seeds, cinnamon and clove with fresh lime juice and topped with toasted seeds, which adds a crunchy taste to the dish.
This dish would be great for breakfast, lunch and can be served with your favourite curry/gravy.
I served this with chilli sweet potato (recipe to follow soon)
Purple carrots aren’t simply a novelty. Their unique color reflects their healthy phytochemical constituents. Not only does ‘purple haze’ have the vitamin a and beta-carotene of ordinary carrots—evident in its orange center—it’s also rich in anthocyanins, the antioxidant compounds that give blueberries their distinctive color and superfood health benefits. Studies have found that these blue and purple pigments can improve memory, enhance vision, protect against heart attacks, act as anti-inflammatories, and even help control weight.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
- Course bulgur-1 ½ cup
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Cinnamon-1 inch stick
- Ginger-garlic paste-1tsp
- Slit/halved green chillies-3
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Grated purple carrot-1
- Thinly sliced purple carrot-1
- Salt- to taste
- Lemon juice- to taste
- Toasted pumpkin seeds- 2-3tbsp
- Toasted water melon seeds – 2-3 tbsp
- Rinse bulgur thoroughly and soak for 10minutes and then cook with 2cups of water until soft and fluffy. (Soaking helps bulgur to cook faster)
- Once cooked spread on a broad dish and allow it to cool completely
- Heat oil in a pan or wok add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon and saute for 20-30seconds.
- Add onion, ginger-garlic paste, slit green chillies and saute for 2-3minutes
- Add grated and sliced carrots and cook until carrots are tender but crunchy (4-5minutes)
- Add salt and turmeric mix well.
- Now add cooked and cooled bulgur and mix gently and simmer for 2-3minutes/until heated through.
- Once heated through turn off the flame and stir in lemon juice.
- Top it with toasted pumpkin seeds and serve with your favourite side dish.
- I did grate and slice the carrot in this dish but you can jusy do either grating or slicing as per the choice.
- I used bulgur here but white rice/brown rice can also be used.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste