Sweet potatoes roasted in chilli sauce
This is a side dish where the roasted sweet potatoes are coated in spicy and hot chilli sauce. The chilli sauce is similar to that of schezwan sauce but i used tomato chilli with personalisation of taste. As a variation roasted sweet potatoes than frying.
This dish makes a great side dish with any indo-chinese fried rice or noodles.
I served this with purple carrot rice (recipe link)
Preparation time-10 minutes
Waiting time-30 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
Baking time-20 minutes
- Medium sized sweet potato-3 (cut into slightly thin wedges)
- Corn flour/starch-2tbsp
- Salt and ground black pepper -to taste
- Oil- 1tbsp
For chilli sauce:
- Chopped celery -1rib
- Finely chopped onion-1 medium
- Finely chopped spring onion greens-1/4cup +for garnishing
- Finely chopped bell peppers-1medium
- Chopped garlic-3 cloves
- Chopped ginger-1/2inch
- Slit/haved green chillies-2
- Red chillies -1 (slit and seeds removed)
- Crushed black pepper-1/4tsp
- Red chilli sauce-2tbsp (feel free to personalise as per the spice preferred)
- (check the link here for homemade chilli sauce)
- Soy sauce-2tsp
- Apple cider vinegar-2tsp
- Corn starch-1tbsp (dissolved in 1-2tbsp water)
- Salt-to taste
- Vegetable stock/water-1/4cup
Preparing sweet potatoes:
- Once the sweet potatoes are cut to wedges keep them in cold water for 30minutes
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg c, line the baking tray with parchment/baking sheet and set aside.
- Drain and drain water from sweet potatoes and pat dry on the kitchne towel.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with corn starch, salt, ground black pepper and place on the prepared baking tary and bake for 15-20minutes or until tender and crunchy( can also include some oil for tossing if desired)
Fo chilli sauce:
- Heat oil in the wok add onions, bell peppers, green chillies, ginger and garlic and stir fry on a high heat for a minute or two.
- Then add the crushed black pepper, red chillies and stir fry for 1-2minutes
- Add the soy sauce, red chilli sauce, salt, vinegar stir .
- Then add water/vegetable stock and let the sauce simmer for 2-3minutes
- Now add corn starch-water mixture and chopped celery simmer for few more minutes til the sauce begins to thickens.
- Finally add roasted sweet poatoe wedges, toss them well in sauce until coated well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens, chopped celery and serve with any fried rice/noodles.
- Spices can be personalised, if you don’t like hot feel free to reduce the quantity of chillies and just use chilli sauce.
- I haven’t used any oil for roasting sweet pototoes, feel free to include if desired.