Mexican rose coco beans curry
This is a delectant protein rich curry with rose cocoa beans. I first soaked the cocoa beans overnight and cooked beans simmered in the tomato sauce with the blend of spices.
Rose coco beans have high levels of soluble fibre makes them beneficial in reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels in humans. Loaded with nutrients, they are used in various cuisines and are a key ingredient served cold in salads or hot in delicious curries
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
- Cooked/canned rose cocoa beans-3cups (if using canned rinse and drain thoroughly to remove sodium content)
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Minced ginger-12tsp
- Minced garlic-3cloves
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Diced tomatoes-1medium
- Tomato puree-1/2cup
- Chopped green chilli-1
- Ground cumin-1tsp
- Ground coriander-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Paprika/cayenne – 1/2tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Vegetable stock/water-2cups
- Chopped cilantro/parsley- a handful
- Heat oil in a deep sauce pan over medium heat, add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, onion, green chilli and let sizzle for one minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt and dry spices (ground cumin, coriander, cayenne/paprika) and cook for an additional five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked kidney beans with water and vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes. Bring it to a boil.
- Then simmer for 10-12 minutes. Once the curry is cooked well and heated through.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve with steamed rice or Mexican rice
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.