Roasted bell pepper, onion and yellow moong dal
Moong dal is a healthy Indian comfort dish prepared from yellow split lentil (green split gram without skin) and spices. It is rich in protein and a staple food in india and main source of protein for vegetarians. As a variation I used roasted onion and bell peppers in this dish. They can even be sauted and add in but roasting adds the crunchiness and flavour in dal.
In addition to their bright color, sweet taste and velvety texture, roasted peppers are a low-calorie addition to a dish that comes chock-full of nutritional benefits. Easily added to any number of dishes, Including pastas, soups and salads.
Bursting with lush, rich brown flavors, roasted onions are as versatile as baked potatoes but with fewer calories.
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
- Yellow moong dal-1cup
- Diced onions-2medium
- Diced bell peppers-2medium
- Slit green chillies-3
- Chopped garlic-4
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Curry leaves-6-8
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-1tsp +for tossing
- Lemon juice
- Chopped coriander
- Rinse moong dal 2-3time and combine dal, 2cups of water, salt and pressure cook for 2-3whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Meanwhile roast the onions and bell peppers:
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg C, line the baking tray and keep aside.
- Spread the diced onions, bell peppers/capsicum on the line baking tray toss with oil, salt and roast in the pre-heated oven for 18-20minutes/ until roasted (time varies from oven to oven so keep an eye)
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, curry leaves, garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Then add in cooked dal and mix well. If dal seems tooo thick add water as per the desired consistency and bring it to boil on a low flame.
- As it comes to boil, add roasted peppers, onion, salt , turmeric and simmer for 3-4minutes/until heated through.
- Turn off the flame stir in lemon juice, garnish with coriander.
Serve this with paratha/roti.
- Dal can be cooked in microwave or stove top and pre-soaking helps to cook faster.