400th Recipe: Quinoa flour eggless chocolate cake
The combination of Quinoa with Chocolate is flawless, effortless and delicious. It is a heaven in a spoonful. You can’t even tell it is made of Quinoa flour instead of plain flour. It is grainy in texture as I used homemade flour. It is so filling and rich dark chocolaty satisfies your taste buds with small amounts of calories. This is also rich in protein and dietary fibre.
I am new to baking cake and frosting…hope you’ll like this recipe and provide your feedback
Quinoa is gluten free, low glycemic and has the highest protein content of all conventional grains. One cup contains 15% of the recommended daily intake of iron, 21% of the daily intake of fiber, and is an excellent source of magnesium, iron and copper. It is a superfood!
Preparation time-10 minutes
Baking time-25-30 minutes
- Quinoa flour-1cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder-1/4cup
- Baking powder-1/2tsp
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Salt- 1/8tsp
- Unsalted sunflower spread-1/4cup
- Fruit sugar/coconut sugar-1/4cup (or as sweet desired)
- Coconut milk-1/2cup
- Apple cider vinegar-1tsp
- Vanilla extract-1tsp
- Frosting is optional- can just indulge the cake without any frosting for low-fat and vegan option.
- Whipping cream-200ml
- Fruit sugar/icing sugar-1-2tbsp
- Vanilla essence-2tsp
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg C. Grease the inside of a small, round 4” two pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients flour, flax meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt in small bowl and set aside.
- Now in other bowl beat fruit sugar, sunflower spread, coconut milk, vanilla extract, cider vinegar until foamy.
- Now fold in dry ingredients oven wet ingredients in batches (add in extra water/coconut milk if desired) to form a dropping consistency batter.
- Divide the batter into the two greased pans and bake in the center of the warm oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with fudgy crumbs.
- Remove and cool completely in the pans on wire racks.
To make frosting:
- In a cold mixing bowl combine whipped cream, sugar, vanilla essence and using a hand mixer/stand mixer whip it till soft peaks are developed.
To assemble cake:
- Place the first layer on your cake stand or serving plate. If the top of the cake is uneven, carefully even it off with a knife. Smooth on about half of the frosting and top with second cake layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting and add any decorations you like.
- Slice and serve immediately or refrigerate and serve next day.
- Sweet can be personalized
- Home made toasted Quinoa flour used gave grainy texture. Store bought might give smooth texture
- I used coconut milk here feel free to use any milk of choice or even evaporated milk can be sued alternatively.
I am bringing this to Angie’s Fiesta Friday#44