Soup: Butternut Squash with toasted seeds
As the weather turns colder, I always think about making soup. Perhaps it’s because I start craving warm, hearty foods and seem to have a larger appetite. This squash soup is transformed from an ordinary recipe into an extraordinary with addition of spices and by topping with roasted nuts.
I like to add a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds to my soup too, as they give a wonderful burst of plant protein, which will give you extra energy. But even better they add the perfect crunch to every bite!
Butternut squash is one of the most nutritious and healthiest vegetables you can eat, with a rich array of vitamins as well as significant amounts of digestive fiber. The antioxidants are especially good for protecting your vision.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
- Butternut (halved, deseeded and diced)- 1medium
- Vegetable broth-2-2 1/2cups
- Low-fat Coconut milk-1/2cup
- Sliced Onion- 2 medium
- Red chillies-3 (deseeded)
- Garlic cloves-2
- Ginger-1 inch piece
- Fennel seeds-2tsp
- Cinnamon-1 “stick
- Salt and ground black pepper-to taste
- Pumpkin seeds-a handful
- Watermelon seeds- a handful
- Pecan nuts- 8-10 (roughly chopped)
- In a large pot add diced squash, vegetable broth, onion, red chillies, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, ginger, garlic and cook over a medium heat for 15-20minutes/until squash is cooked and tender.
- Meanwhile dry roast pumpkin seeds, melon seeds and nuts in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden. (alternatively can even toast in the oven for 15-20minutes or until toasted at 150deg C)
- Once the squash is cooked transfer it to a blended or a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Then again transfer the blended puree to the sauce pan ground black pepper and salt to taste and cook until soup is heated through (for about 3-5minutes)
- When ready transfer it to a serving bowl and top with roasted nuts, seeds and serve.
- I love my soup hot so added red chillies, feel free to skip or personalise the spices as per the taste.