Tomato rice topped with roasted mushrooms and tofu
Tomato rice is delicious and easy to make dish. As a variation I topped it with roasted Mushrooms and Tofu. They added the crunchiness to the dish as well made a healthy pot meal.
You’ve probably heard that tofu takes on the flavors of that with which it’s cooked, which is true; however, I’ve found that a marinating and then cooking gives it even more of a flavor. I personally love those bold flavors are perfect to use when cooking with tofu; the brightness of herbs, the depth and warmth of garlic, the smoky-ness of lightly charred veggies—all of these things lend themselves so well to a colorful and healthy dinner using crispy tofu as a star ingredient.
I served with Baked babycorn as a 2 course meal (Recipe click here)
Mushrooms helps to relieve from high cholesterol levels, reduces the risk of cancer and diabetes. It also helps in weight loss and increases strength of immune system. They are rich in proteins and vitamins helps to protect you against diseases and infections. They are rich source of Calcicum and Vitamin D which helps to strengthen the bone.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-35-40 minutes (including the cooking time of rice)
Baking time-20-25 minutes
For tomato rice:
- Brown Rice-1 1/2cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped tomatoes-2
- Kalonji/onion seeds-1tsp
- Minced garlic-2cloves
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Whizzed tomatoes/tomato puree from 2tomatoes
- Lemon juice, salt- to taste
- Chopped mint leaves
For roasting mushrooms and tofu:
- Chestnut mushrooms-200gms (cleaned and sliced)
- Firm tofu-150gms
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- White pepper powder-to taste
- Salt- to taste
- Drain water from tofu and gently squeeze out some of the water. Cube tofu and place it on the tea towel/paper towels, fold the towel over tofu and place some heavy on top to help the tofu drain.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in a fine mesh under running water and set aside.
For roasting tofu and mushrooms:
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg C. line the baking tray with baking/parchment sheet and set aside.
- Transfer drained tofu, mushrooms into a bowl.
- Whisk together oil, salt pepper and corn starch in a small bowl and drizzle over toft and mushroom and toss well to coat.
- Arrange marinated mushrooms, tofu on to the line baking tray in an even layer and bake for 20minutes, tossing half way through cooking and bake until the tofu and mushrooms are golden on the edges.
For tomato rice:
- Bring 4-5cups of water to boil in a saucepan, once the water is boiling add rinsed rice,salt and let it cook for 18-20minutes or until cooked. Once cooked remove from heat, drain and use a fork to fluff the rice.
- Now heat oil in the pan add onion, whizzed tomatoes, minced garlic and saute for 4-5minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric, kalonji and cook until tomatoes are mushy (approx. 8-10minutes)
- Add the cooked rice, salt and stir well and simmer until heated through.
- Turn off the flame, stir in some lemon juice.
- Transfer the rice onto plate and top with roasted mushrooms, tofu and chopped mint leaves.
I used red rice alternatively any rice of choice can be used and follow the same procedure