Green Rice (Spinach mint brown rice)
This is a simple and light dish, which is cooked in spinach and mint gravy. So the minty flavour alongside the taste of spinach remains distinct throughout 🙂 you could perhaps prepare the greens previous night if your mornings are packed and do the rest of the procedure the next morning.
The possible health benefits of consuming spinach include improving blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health, lowering the risk of developing asthma and more.
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Brown rice-1 cup (soak atleast for an hour before cooking)
- Blanched spinach-1cup
- Finely chopped mint -1/4cup
- Green capsicum-1num
- Black cumin seeds-1tsp
- Whole garam masala – (Clove-4-5pods, Cinnamon-1 inch stick,Cardamom-1num)
- Green chilli-4-5num
- Ginger-1 inch
- Salt to taste
- Add blanched spinach, mint, chilli, onion, garlic, ginger, whole garam masala and blend it to the fine paste and set aside.
- Heat a non stick pan on high; Add cumin seeds then reduce the flame
- Add onion saute 2-3 minutes then add capsicum and stir/fry for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now add the ground spinach puree and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add the rice into the pan and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of hot water, salt and cook on high flame for up to 10 minutes and then reduce the flame to medium and cook until the rice is cooked.
Serve hot with Falxseed Raita (Recipe Click here)
- Brown rice take more time to cook than white rice so it might take 15-20 mins to cook completely
- Use the normal Jeera if black cumin is not available.
- Blanching spinach is cook spinach for 20-30 seconds in hot water and immediately run cold water on it/ transfers it to the bowl of cold water to stop further cooking.
- Can use white rice instead of brown rice