C2 I2 (Celery Cornmeal – Instant Idli)
A healthy nutritious breakfast that can be made instant. This is great for breakfast.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes (per batch)
- Coarse Cornmeal – 2cups
- Baking soda-1tsp
- Celery chopped – 3 to 4 stalks
- Salt-to taste
- Olive oil-2tsp +for brushing
- Chopped green chillies-2
- Dry coconut flakes-2tbsp
- Grated Ginger-1/2 Inch
- Chopped coriander- a handful
- Grated carrot – 2 medium
- Chopped Spinach – ½ cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cashew – for garnishing (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds; as it splutters add Ginger and Coconut flakes.
- Saute for a minute and add Cornmeal; Roast on a medium low flame for 3 – 5 minutes
- Take off from the flame and set aside
- Combine Celery and Green chillies in a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth
- In a mixing bowl whisk Yogurt, Salt and the blended puree (Celery and Green chillies) until combined.
- Stir in roasted Cornmeal mixture to get Idli batter consistency (Thick dropping consistency); add in extra water/yogurt if required
- Set aside for 10 minutes
- After resting time add baking soda
- Grease the idli tray with oil, pre-heat the Idli cooker with 2 cups of water.
- Pour a ladle full of batter in the greased Idli moulds and steam for 13-15 minutes.
Serve hot with Peanut Chutney (Recipe link).
- Onions can be included for variation.
- Bottle gourd can be used in place of Celery