Thin pizza on Skillet/Tawa
These skillet pizzas are so easy to make and so good! Plus, they are perfect for a family with lots of different tastes. For this particular pizza, I made a batch of easy pizza dough. For sauce, I used bell pepper, onion and then topped it with mozzarella baby corn and some cherry tomatoes.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-20-25 minutes (10-12minutes per pizza)
Waiting time-1 hour
For the dough:
- Whole wheat flour- 1 1/4cup
- Instant yeast-1tsp
- Salt- 1/2tsp
- Olive oil-2tsp+for brushing
- Warm water-3/4-1cup
For topping: (Quantity of each ingredient can be customised as per choice)
- Pizza sauce
- Low fat grated mozzarella cheese
- Chopped onion
- Chopped bell peppers
- Sliced baby corn
- Cherry tomatoes
- Salt- to taste
- Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Dried Italian herbs-1/2 tsp
- Chopped fresh coriander- for garnishing
- Olive oil- 2tsp
- Place the flour, yeast, salt, honey in a mixing bowl.
- Now combine oil and ½ cup warm water in a small measuring cup- add to the flour mixture and mix until a ball of dough forms.
- Dough should be slightly tacky but not overly sticky (If necessary add a little flour if its sticky) and knead for 4-5minutes.
- Grease a medium-size mixing bowl and transfer to bowl, turning dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm until the dough doubles in size (~for 50- 60 minutes)
Meanwhile prepare the topping:
- Heat oil in the skillet add in onion, bell peppers, baby corn, cherry tomatoes and sauté for 4-5 minutes/until veggies tender
- Add in salt, chilli powder, Italian herbs, toss together saute for a minute- turn of the flame and set aside.
For the pizza:
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch down the dough. place the dough on a floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 9-inch round and using a fork prick all over the dough( pricking helps to prevents from puffing up)
- Pre-heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Brush some oil on the skillet and place the rolled dough on the pre-heated skillet and cook on a medium low flame for 4-5 minutes or until bottom is golden brown (make sure the flame is medium low not too high or low) .
- Once the is golden brown flip and brush some pizza sauce sprinkle the topping mixture, cheese and reduce the heat to low cover and cook for another 3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove the lid and continue to cook until the bottom is golden brown.
- Transfer pizza to cutting board slice and serve hot
- Alternatively baking powder, yogurt can be used instead of yeast.
- Toppings can be personalised as per the taste.
- Make sure to cook pizza on a medium-low flame and not to increase the heat; High heat cooks the pizza on outer surface and inner surface remains uncooked