Raspberry glazed Rings
These doughnuts are light with raspberry glaze on the top. But these aren’t the sugary, greasy doughnuts we all grew up on; these are baked, made with whole wheat flour, and full of fresh raspberries just bursting with sweetness
While they are delicious by themselves the glaze just adds the extra bit of love to the recipe. Now you can use the berry and lemon glaze OR simply remove the lemon for a tasty sweet glaze. The glaze has very minimal sweet but feel free to include extra sweetener. Another cool thing to do would be to coat them in a blend of sugar and cinnamon. The possibilities are endless and like I always say, you are only limited to your own creativity
Yields-10-12 (depending on the size)
Preparation time-15 minutes
Waiting time-2 hours
Cooking time-10 minutes
Baking time-10-12 minutes
- Whole wheat flour-2 cups
- Active dry yeast-1 tsp
- Sunflower spread/butter-1/4 cup
- Fruit sugar-3/4 cup (adjust sweet as per your taste)
- Warm Milk-1 cup (or little more if required for the dough)
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Vanilla essence-1 tsp
- Fresh chopped raspberry-200 gms
- Fruits sugar-1/2 cup (add extra sweetness as per your taste)
- Lemon juice-1 tbsp
- Chopped pistachio – for garnishing
- Combine yeast with 1/4cup of warm milk and let it sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt in a mixing bowl mix well until combined.
- In another bowl whisk sunflower spread, rest of the milk, yeast mixture vanilla essence.
- Now add flour mixture to the milk mixture, yeast mixture and mix well until comes together- this is where you are going to need to make adjustments- if your dough is overly sticky, add flour a few tablespoons OR if too dry add milk a bit at a time- the dough has to be bit supple and smooth.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured counter and knead for few minutes (the dough should be barely sticky), and shape into a ball.
- After kneading transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover put in a warm place and let rise for an 1- 1 1/2 hour OR until the dough has roughly doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven at 170 deg C (fan assisted). Line the baking tary with parchment paper, grease and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and roll it out 1/2uinch thick on floured counter.
- I don’t have donut pan/cutter so I used 2-3inch cookie cutter to stamp out and for smaller inner circles use a smaller cutter.
- Place the shaped donuts on a prepared baking tray, cover with a clean towel and let it rise for another 30 minutes in a warm place.
- After rising time- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare the glaze:
- In a pan, cook raspberries with sugar over medium heat until berries are are cooked down to a sauce, about 10-12 minutes. Squeeze some lemon juice mix well and turn off the flame (using lemon juice is optional- if you like like lemon flavour feel free to skip it)
- (Once the sauce is cooked sieve to get rid of any seeds)
- Now dip the donuts in the raspberry glaze and sprinkle some chopped pistachio. Repeat with remaining donuts.
- Brown sugar/ sugar/any sweetener can be used alternatively to fruit sugar.
- White flour/Apf can be used alternatively to wheat flour.
- Sweetness can altered as per the taste.
- Alternatively frozen berries can be used for the glaze.