Rajma coconut pulao
Spiced Rajma Pulao is a delectable recipe of rice simmered in spices and red kidney beans. Combining the red kidney beans along with rice and spices makes this pulao wholesome and nutritious. . The Kidney Beans are one of the few beans that easily absorb the spices thrown into it and it dresses the Pulao deliciously.
Preparation time-20-25 minutes
Soaking time-6-8 hours/overnight
Cooking time-25-30 minutes
- Brown rice-1cup
- Red kidney beans/rajma–1cup
- Coconut milk-1cup
- Desiccated coconut-3-4tbsp (substitute with grated fresh/dry coconut)
- Chopped onion-1 medium
- Chopped garlic-3 cloves
- Chopped ginger-1 tbsp
- Bay leaf-1 num
- Cinnamon-1 inch stick
- Cardamom pods-2
- Dried fenugreek leaves/kasoori methi-1tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped coriander- for garnishing
- Rinse and soak red kidney beans/rajma with enough water for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked well, cook the beans in the pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles with 1/2tsp salt.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid, drain and set aside.
- Wash and soak brown rice for 20-30 minutes, after soaking time drain and set aside.
For the pulao:
- Heat oil in a saucepan add in kasuri methi, bay leaf, whole spices (cinnamon, cloves, cardamom), ginger, garlic and stir fry for few seconds until its aromatic.
- Now add onion and fry for 2-3 minutes/until transparent.
- Add desiccated coconut, soaked and drained rice and fry for couple of minutes.
- Add coconut milk, 1 cup of water, salt and bring it to boil.
- Once it comes to boil lower the flame to medium , add cooked red kidney beans mix well, cover the lid and cook until the rice is fluffy and has been absorbed the liquid.
- Turn off the flame and let the rajma pulao rest for 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with coriander
Serve hot with:
- Can substitute dry kidney beans with the canned beans- just make sure to rinse and wash thoroughly
- Rice can also be cooked in pressure cooker