Chow chow/Chayote Squash capsicum curry
Chayote squash and bell peppers are the star in these substantial side-dish recipes both as a team and on their own.
For a fast, flavorful side, try this with chapathi/pulkas or even with rice and sambhar. Along with adding flavor, and helps the body better absorb nutrients from these veggies.
Chayote is an excellent source of folate, which is good for the heart. Good source of Vitamin C, which helps prevent Cancer,
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-25 minutes
- Chow chow/ chayote squash- 2 cups (peeled and diced)
- Diced Red onion-2 medium
- Green bell peppers-1 (deseeded and diced)
- Yellow bell peppers-1 (deseeded and diced)
- Dessicated/grated coconut-1/4 cup
- Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp (can substitute with cumin seeds)
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder-1 tsp
- Curry leaves-6-8
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-2 tsp
- Handful of fresh coriander/cilantro-roughly chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat and add mustard as it splutters, add fennel seeds, curry leaves.
- Now add onion and sauté for a minute or two.
- Then add chow chow/chayote squash and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the bell peppers mix gently and sprinkle some water if needed (not much as this is a dry curry).
- Now add cumin powder, chilli powder, turmeric, salt, desiccated coconut mix well and simmer for another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with fresh coriander
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.