Baby potato in tamarind sauce: (Zero oil)
Look at these freaking potatoes. You take baby potatoes, you boil them, then cook them in a sweet and tangy tamarind and dates sauce. Then you drizzle them with some green chutney/ dressing that will rock your world.
These potatoes are wicked good and wildly addictive. Lets see how many servings you can have in a go.
Health benefits of potatoes:
Boiled potatoes are naturally rich in vitamins, minerals, low in calories and fat and their high fiber content helps you feel full. Contrary to popular belief, potatoes are not inherently fattening. If you add butter or sour cream to potatoes, you increase the numbers of calories and fat grams significantly, so if you are trying to lose weight, season them with herbs or low-calorie condiments.
Yields- 2-3 servings
Preparation time-15-20 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Baby Red potatoes- 500 gms
- Salt- to taste
For tamarind sauce:
- Tamarind- a small lemon size
- Dates- 8-10 (seeded and roughly chopped)
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Ground cumin -1tsp
- Black salt-1/4tsp (can substitute with table salt)
- Finely chopped onion
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Sev- Optional
- Green chutney
- Soak tamarind and dates in ½ cup of hot water for 20-30 minutes.
- After soaking time place them in a blender with cumin powder, chilli powder, black salt and ground to smooth paste and set aside.
- Wash and scrub clean the potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes in salt water with the skin on it until tender but not mushy.
- Once potatoes are cooked peel the skin (I love to retain the skin) and prick potatoes with toothpick.
- Add ground tamarind paste in a pan and cook on a low flame for 4-5minutes or until thickens a bit.
- Now add potatoes, salt (if required) mix well and simmer for 8-10minutes or until the potatoes are coated well with the sauce, stirring occasionally.
- (Adjust the taste of the spice, salt and tanginess as per the taste)
- When the potatoes are coated well in sauce- turn off the heat
- Transfer on to the serving plate, top it with a small spoon full of green chutney, drizzle some onion, fresh coriander and Sev