Fresh tomato dip – Salsa
Tomato dip prepared with this recipe has tangy and spicy taste and can be served as accompaniment with snacks like nachos, tortilla, chips, finger chips, etc. or as relish.
Yields-1 -11/2 cup
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time – 10 minutes
- Finely chopped Wine tomatoes-3-4 medium
- Finely chopped onion-1 medium
- Minced/grated garlic-2 cloves
- Olive oil-1 tbsp
- Low –fat mozzarella cheese-2-3 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Bay leaves-1
- Red chilies-2-3 (adjust as per the spice)
- Cinnamon- 1” stick
- Black pepper corns- 4-5
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
For garnishing :
- Basil leaves or fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.
- In a pan dry roast the spices (red chillies, cinnamon, bay leaf, pepper corns, cumin seeds) on a medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. Allow it to cool a bit and then place it in the blender and ground to powder and set aside.
To make dip:
- Heat oil in a large pan add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Stir in garlic cook for few seconds.
- Add tomatoes, ground spice mixture, salt, turn the heat to medium high, cover and cook until the tomatoes are very soft, about 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mash the tomatoes using potato masher and cook until thickened.
- Once it reaches the desired consistency- turn off the heat, cool slightly and stir in cheese and basi/cilantro.
- Serve with Bread Or Chips
- OR as a spread for wraps like fajitas/tortillas
Posted on June 5, 2015, in Dips, Indian, International and tagged dips for chips, flavoured spicy tomato dip, mexican dips or spreads, quick to make spicy dips, spicy chips accompaniment, tomato chutney, tomato dip. Bookmark the permalink. 25 Comments.