This salsa is bright and sweet, taking advantage of the tropical flavours available at the height of summer. The lime and chilli give balance to the mango and papaya. There’s a lovely crunch to the cucumber and fresh capsicum. It makes the perfect accompaniment to chips and fajitas.
This tropical fruit salsa features papayas, which contain vitamin C, folate, potassium and fiber. When shopping for a ripe papaya, look for skin that is turning from green to yellow. These bright colors also signify an abundance of carotenoids (including lycopene), anti-inflammatory antioxidants that may help protect against cancer and other chronic diseases. Low in calories, cholesterol free, papaya is a rich source of phyto-nutrients, minerals, dietary fiber, and vitamins.
Preparation time-15 minutes
- Papaya- 1cup (skin and seeds removed and finely diced)
- Finely chopped red onion-1small
- Cucumber- 1/2 medium (seeds scrapped out, finely diced)
- Finely diced Red capsicum/bell pepper-1medium
- Crushed/minced garlic-1clove
- Finely green chilli- 1tsp (adjust as per the spice preferred)
- Chopped mint- a handful
- Salt and ground black pepper- to taste
- Juice of 1 lime/lemon
- Take a wide bowl and combine papaya, onion, cucumber, bell peppers mix well.
- To this add chilli, garlic, mint, lime juice and toss together.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes and then serve chilled.
- Spices and combination of veggies can be personalised as per the taste.
- If you don’t liked chilled it can be served immediately.