Pumpkin/Squash Dal/lentils curry
Lentils are super hearty, so a bowlful of this lentil stew /dal is plenty on its own. Alternatively, you could serve a slightly smaller portion alongside some rice, a big chunk of bread, or my favourite winter comfort food – creamy squash
There’s a lot of flavor and a lot of nutrition in a simple pot of lentil stew. Lentils are low in fat and high in protein and fiber. But they have the added advantage; unlike other legumes they cook very quickly!
Preparation time-10 minutes
Soaking time-5-6 hours
Cooking time-35-40 minutes
- Yellow moong dal-1cup
- Brown lentil-1/2cup
- Green moong dal- 1/2cup
- Pumpkin/butternut squash-500g (peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped)
- Tomato puree-1cup (approx.-3large tomatoes)
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Jalapenos/green chillies-1-2 (seeded and minced)
- Minced ginger-1inch
- Minced garlic-3cloves
- Coriander powder-1/2tsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Cinnamon stick-1
- Whole cloves-3-4
- Slat- to taste
- Lemon juice-1-2tbsp
- Chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- Wash and rinse the lentils thoroughly –soak for 5-6 hrs.
- After soaking tome put lentils, jalapenos, ginger, garlic, turmeric in a large pot – add enough water to cover by 1 1/2inches above the lentils, cover and cook the lentils over high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until lentils are almost tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking same time heat oil in other saucepan, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, minced ginger, garlic and saute for few seconds until flavorful.
- Add the onions, minced jalapenos or chillies and saute for 2-3 minutes, now add tomato puree and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, coriander powder, chilli powder and continue to cook for another 4-5minutes.
- By then when the lentils are ready – add to the sauted mixture and continue to simmer for another 8-10minutes.
- Consistency can per personalised as per the taste by adding extra water or cook longer for creamy and thick consistency.
- Once done turn off the flame, drizzle some lemon juice, garnish with some cilantro leaves.
Serve with roti/rice stuffed roti, paratha.
- Combination and quantity of lentils can be personalised.