Coconut Basil Rice
And the rice!! with coconut and basil, totally cozy and totally delicious. I loved it! It’s incredibly simple to make.
And it can be served as is for lunch or breakfast or for packed lunch or serve it with chutney/any dip of choice.
I love basil, It’s the best smell, and in my opinion one of the best herbs. So instead of rice with loads of cilantro, which I do love too, I added some basil to this, mostly for a nice summery kick. Pretty sure you are going to love it.
Basil with a rich green hue and delicate aromatic flavor, fresh basil adds instant interest to a range of healthful recipes. It’s also virtually calorie-free — a quarter-cup serving of chopped basil contains just two calories — and low in sodium. Using fresh basil to flavor your meals makes it easier to skip fatty or salty seasonings
Preparation time-20 minutes (cooking time of rice)
Soaking time-1 hour
Cooking time-10 minutes
- Brown basmathi rice-1cup
- Grated fresh coconut-1/2cup
- Fresh basil- a handful
- Salt- to taste
- mustard seeds-1tsp
- cumin seeds-1tsp
- urad dal/split black gram-2tsp
- channa dal-2tsp
- curry leaves-2sprigs
- roughly chopped cashewnuts-8-10
- Wash and rinse thoroughly brown rice and soak for 30minutes-1hour
- After soaking time-drain water from soaked rice and set aside.
- Now boil enough water in a big saucepan and cook rice until fluffy- once cooked drain water and spread it on a broad plate/dish and let it cool completely.
For coconut rice:
- Heat oil in pan add mustard seeds and fry in medium high flame- as it splutters
- Add cumin seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chillies, curry leaves, cashew and saute until dal and cashew turns golden brown.
- Add the shredded coconut,Basil leaves to this and stir for a minute or two or until it leaves a toasted aroma.
- Finally add cooked rice, salt and mix gently until well combined and simmer for 2-3minutes or until heated through.
- Check for the seasoning..turn off the flame, garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve hot with
- Make sure the cooked rice is cooled completely and grains are separated- mushy rice doesn’t taste good for this rice.
- Left over rice can also be used.
- Basil can be replaced with fresh cilantro/coarinder.
Posted on July 22, 2015, in Indian, Main dish and tagged basil recipes, basil rice, Brown rice recipes, coconut recipes, coconut rice, one pot meal recipes, simple breakfast recipes, vegan indian rice recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 28 Comments.